S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New Retainers, double check the TDC

Old 06-28-2012, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alf_09NFR
Originally Posted by Competitor9' timestamp='1340921108' post='21819899

Yea the exhaust is coming out of the throttle body. I disconnected the IC Piping because I was trying to figure where the smoke was coming from. Then when my friend opened the throttle while I was trying to start the car it shot 3 fireballs out of the throttle body. :-/ kinda ruined my day.
You have switched the cams for sure. But the engine might be OK. If the intake valves open when the exhaust should, and the ex open when the intake should, the valves would not hit the pistons. You need to swap the cams and find out. Maybe a compression check after it is together correctly.

Information Appreciated!

Not for nothing but I am 150% sure I did not switch the cams. I follow your logic however like if I flipped them then in turn it would make the intake the exhaust and visversa. Nothing to lose at this point anyway so I'll flip them around and see what happens. If it works and the car runs I'm going to need an address to send you a case of Corona or something.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Competitor9
Originally Posted by Alf_09NFR' timestamp='1340921916' post='21819936
[quote name='Competitor9' timestamp='1340921108' post='21819899']

Yea the exhaust is coming out of the throttle body. I disconnected the IC Piping because I was trying to figure where the smoke was coming from. Then when my friend opened the throttle while I was trying to start the car it shot 3 fireballs out of the throttle body. :-/ kinda ruined my day.
You have switched the cams for sure. But the engine might be OK. If the intake valves open when the exhaust should, and the ex open when the intake should, the valves would not hit the pistons. You need to swap the cams and find out. Maybe a compression check after it is together correctly.

Information Appreciated!

Not for nothing but I am 150% sure I did not switch the cams. I follow your logic however like if I flipped them then in turn it would make the intake the exhaust and visversa. Nothing to lose at this point anyway so I'll flip them around and see what happens. If it works and the car runs I'm going to need an address to send you a case of Corona or something.
[/quote]

Search the forums for "cam timing" and look at ALL the pictures that have the cam with the groove on the EXHAUST.

I'm 151% sure that you did switch them...
Old 06-28-2012, 02:48 PM

This is some twilight zone stuff if I did switch them. Find out tomorrow.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/879...#entry20733200

that guy never moved his cams and the exhaust def has a groove. Your probably the man at where's waldo.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:52 PM

Well, you labeled them L and R - but who's L and R? Yours? Or the cars?

Maybe you should have labeled them I and E

Oh, I did a little more thinking about it, and I'm pretty sure kinda sure hopeful that your engine will be OK.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Alf_09NFR
Originally Posted by Competitor9' timestamp='1340923688' post='21820006

Oh, I did a little more thinking about it, and I'm pretty sure your engine will be OK.

HOLY OBVIOUS BATMAN

At the time I don't know what I was thinking lol. Looking back I don't even remember, but I thought it was looking at the car left/exhaust right/intake but who knows. I have a 9 month old daughter I'm def throwing the blame on her lol daddy can't be that stupid!
Old 06-28-2012, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just have to know how this turns out. I'm learning so much from you all.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Thread re-affirms that I probably shouldn't do retainers myself if i ever need/want to do them.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinky
Thread re-affirms that I probably shouldn't do retainers myself if i ever need/want to do them.

if this thread made you second guess yourself, you should have never anticipated doing the work to begin with
Old 06-29-2012, 10:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alf_09NFR' timestamp='1340923943' post='21820017
[quote name='Competitor9' timestamp='1340923688' post='21820006']

Oh, I did a little more thinking about it, and I'm pretty sure your engine will be OK.

HOLY OBVIOUS BATMAN

At the time I don't know what I was thinking lol. Looking back I don't even remember, but I thought it was looking at the car left/exhaust right/intake but who knows. I have a 9 month old daughter I'm def throwing the blame on her lol daddy can't be that stupid!
[/quote]

Don't feel too bad about it. I do the exact same thing. I hate it when people give instructions using the "left" and "right" sides of the car, because I'm always sure I'm going to screw things up. Even though there is some discrepancy, "driver/passenger side" or "intake/exhaust side" are much more descriptive...
Old 06-29-2012, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by blasphemy101
Don't feel too bad about it. I do the exact same thing. I hate it when people give instructions using the "left" and "right" sides of the car, because I'm always sure I'm going to screw things up. Even though there is some discrepancy, "driver/passenger side" or "intake/exhaust side" are much more descriptive...

Well, for a car like the S2000 which is available in both RHD and LHD, "driver/passenger" doesn't work very well...

Quick Reply: New Retainers, double check the TDC