S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New Retainers, double check the TDC

Old 06-27-2012, 06:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The timing chain was never removed neither wasthe cam gear. The only things i took off are the cams. To my detriment i didnt pay much attention to what the cams looked like before I took them apart, i have the helms manual and read every article on cam alignment so I thought I'd be ok. As said before all information is appreciated.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:32 AM

So here is the crank

here are the cams

the car still cranks won't start and I have exhaust coming out of the throttle body. Also the entire throttle body is black. I let the car crank 4 times. 6 total between the two differant times I thought the cams were alligned.

Thoughts? I'm guessing its bad, I took the valve cover back off and the valve springs and everything look good but I imagine any damage I did would be more internal.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by SLracer
I just did a bunch of engine work on my car and when I started the timing chain had never been removed from the car and I noticed the arrow was slightly to the left of the white mark similar to yours. Did you ever take your cam sprocket off or put slack in the timing chain? If not then the top end should be lined up just as it was when you took it apart. Just my 2 cents

SLracer

When you put it back together did your cams line up the two yellow lines across the line made by the bottom of the cam cap?? If you look in my pictures my exhaust cam is never in a spot to be perfectly lined up. It is like 1/2 tooth off. When rotated one tooth either way it only gets worse, from where I had it 2 posts ago the first time I tried to start the car.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:41 AM

UPDATE

Tried another alignment today it looks like the best one I have had yet. Shot a flame out of the engine bay when I tried to start the car. Pretty awesome.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:19 AM

the car still cranks won't start and I have exhaust coming out of the throttle body. Also the entire throttle body is black.
Do you mean that when you are cranking the engine, exhaust is coming out the intake? I don't know if they would fit, but is it possible that you have swapped the intake and exhaust cams?
Old 06-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that first picture you have up doesnt look bad...looks good to me....but how is the bottom crank mark? also did u by mistake switch the intake and exh cams?
Old 06-28-2012, 11:31 AM

hey bac7213, I think I just suggested that

I've looked as some more pictures of other people's cam gear line up, and ALL of them have the gear with the circular groove on the EXHAUST side, and the gear with the smooth face on the INTAKE - yours is the other way around!

Make sure you have not switched the cams...
Old 06-28-2012, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by bac7213
that first picture you have up doesnt look bad...looks good to me....but how is the bottom crank mark? also did u by mistake switch the intake and exh cams?

I am 100% sure I didn't switch the cams, I'm not even sure it's possible but I put a piece of masking tape on the cams and labled them left and right. My largest and most confusing problem is the helms manual says
1. Line up crank to arrow on crank case
2. Make sure cam drive lines are parrallel to the head

That poses a problem because when the crank is lined up the lines are off. So then when I line up the cam drive gear the exhaust cam always is 1/2 tooth off. This has fast become a nightmare. I'm pretty sure I bent the shit out of the valves, the car has cranked probably a total of 10times. Never started but the smoke and flames this morning pretty much smoldered any hope i had of not breaking my engine, and not shelling out more $$ for something that should have been so easy.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Alf_09NFR
the car still cranks won't start and I have exhaust coming out of the throttle body. Also the entire throttle body is black.
Do you mean that when you are cranking the engine, exhaust is coming out the intake? I don't know if they would fit, but is it possible that you have swapped the intake and exhaust cams?

Yea the exhaust is coming out of the throttle body. I disconnected the IC Piping because I was trying to figure where the smoke was coming from. Then when my friend opened the throttle while I was trying to start the car it shot 3 fireballs out of the throttle body. :-/ kinda ruined my day.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Competitor9
Yea the exhaust is coming out of the throttle body. I disconnected the IC Piping because I was trying to figure where the smoke was coming from. Then when my friend opened the throttle while I was trying to start the car it shot 3 fireballs out of the throttle body. :-/ kinda ruined my day.
You have switched the cams for sure. But the engine might be OK. If the intake valves open when the exhaust should, and the ex open when the intake should, the valves would not hit the pistons. You need to swap the cams and find out. Maybe a compression check after it is together correctly.

Quick Reply: New Retainers, double check the TDC