S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New Retainers, double check the TDC

Old 06-07-2012, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will do, its raining now ill get back with a pic tomorrow
Old 06-07-2012, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
First off, put the white mark on the pointer. You are way off.

THEN take the pic of the cams.

I'll bet your exhaust cam is one tooth off.

thats exactly what i was thinking
Old 06-15-2012, 10:38 PM

UPDATE

Ok so I have the cam alligned and everything looks good to me except for one thing. When the marking on the crank is directly lined up with the arrow on the front of the crank case the two paint marks on the idler are not where they need to be. In fact the left marking isn't visible and the right marking is far to high. So when i put the cams in they dont line up perfectly the exhaust cam line is pointing down and the intake came line is kind of pointing up. But when I move the crank about 15 degrees all of the paint marks on the cams and idler line up, but now the marking on the crank is 1/8-3/16 to the right of the arrow.

I'll post pictures in the morning been a long night in the garage.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:18 AM

UPDATE

So I'm guessing I'm not lined up correctly. When the arrow is pointing to the second line(last line) on the crank the cams are a half a tooth off. The exhaust cam is pointing slightly downward, the intake cam is pointing slightly upwards. As I rotate the crank a small 1/8 of an inch past that last line everything lines up perfect with the cams and the idler.

I'm running an AEM EMS series 2 and they have told me the car will try to crank no matter what and that the factory TDC sensors will the fail safe will not stop the car from cranking.

Well I went to start the car today and it tried to crank, but never started I only tried it once for fear of bending/breaking something. Also there was a small dark smoke cloud that came out of the engine bay that makes me worry

So I am going to take it back apart and try again, any one have any feedback or valuable information that might help me?
Old 06-20-2012, 09:31 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

what type of head gasket do you have?

Start with the camwheel. dont look at the cams.

White crank mark on pointer, the two marks on the CAM DRIVE GEAR (not the cams) should be flush/parallel with the head.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:34 AM

Ok, stock head gasket.

When I line up the arrow on the crankcase and the the second line the lines on the cam drive gear are not parrallel to the head the left side is lower then the head and the right side is higher then the head. I am going to post pictures later? What would case the smoke? I did the valve adjustment to .10 exhaust .9 intake
Old 06-21-2012, 04:34 AM

UPDATE

So with the crank perfectly aligned this is what the cam drive gear and the cams look like

crank

cams

Now when I rotate the crank very slightly it seems to all line up.

crank

cams

As i said before the AEM EMS according to AEM will let the car start. But when I went to start the car the engine was trying to turn over but never getting there. Kind of like how it would sound if there was no fuel. If the cams are not alligned with a stock ecu will the car try to crank or will it just act as if the battery was dead and not crank at all?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:18 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

APPEARS exhaust cam one tooth off.

Need to move it one tooth counterclockwise.

Keep in mind this is the web, and there are too many paralax errors in sighting to be 100% certain.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:41 AM

I'll do as directed, I understand the problem of trying to tell from a picture. I will re allign and post update saturday.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did a bunch of engine work on my car and when I started the timing chain had never been removed from the car and I noticed the arrow was slightly to the left of the white mark similar to yours. Did you ever take your cam sprocket off or put slack in the timing chain? If not then the top end should be lined up just as it was when you took it apart. Just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: New Retainers, double check the TDC