S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New Rear Diff

Old 08-28-2009, 07:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a hard top
put a 3.9 rear diff (lowest I think you can get)
Dynomat the car
put larger tires in the rear

Hmmm the most obvious answer to your problem is this....

Leave EARLIER and take your time getting to where you need to get.
BEFORE YOU KILL YOURSELF AND PERHAPS A FAMILY WITH YOU.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by MuttGrunt,Aug 28 2009, 07:09 AM
Am I the only one that finds this thread over-the-top hilarious?

Guy wants to know about decreasing engine sound while improving his MPG in HIS s2000 (you know... the one he owns and paid for)

Common responses: Why would you do that / that's stupid / should have bought a Vette / that's not what the car was meant for

That's not what the car was meant for?

THAT'S NOT WHAT THE CAR WAS MEANT FOR?!?!?!?

All these people going FORCED INDUCTION in a car MEANT to be NA???
All these people lowering to a >1 inch gap between their fenders and tires??
All these people putting ugly ass over-fenders on their cars???
All these people running stretched tires and crazy camber??

But Heaven forbid a guy want to make a change to how his s2000 performs/sounds in a way that he would enjoy. And let's make sure when he comes to a huge knowledgeable s2000 community to get possible information on what it would take - he gets ridiculed.

have fun with your turbo/sc kits, ugly ass body kits, and ridiculously low set-ups that show what an S2000 was MEANT FOR

With such a wide range of tastes and mods on this site, I can't believe some of the feedback left for a guy with a legit question. To those providing intelligent, positive, well thought-out responses: props

P.S. The freeways around me have a 70MPH speed limit with a flow of traffic usually between 75-80 MPH, let alone in Texas there are 80MPH speed limits. Don't forget some states allow you to legally drive over the posted speed limit if you can prove the conditions allow for it. Quit crying over a guy driving 75-90mph

Some people need to lighten up and give a little more room for the seemingly unconventional thoughts of others. This isn't a sheep herding event, though usually it feels like one
Old 08-28-2009, 11:24 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

chris_barry Posted on Aug 27 2009, 12:46 AM
Rob, I'm also looking at putting longer legs on my S2K based race car for different reasons.
IMO Rob is not looking for longer legs, just a bigger pinky toe (on a foot with 6 toes that is)

And if I may ask you, Chris: how much power does your S2k have and/or how small are those wheels & tires you have to use?
I mean.. a stock AP1 will just not run out of revs in 6th with a 4.10 diff.
Okay... on a LONG downhill road with a tail wind.. maybe

snakeeater Posted on Aug 27 2009, 07:36 PM
The 4.57 ratio may be much better in every way YOU care about.
True.
But.. if one likes the way a 4.10 S2000 drives, that person will (no doubt in my mind) like a 4.57 geared S2000 better.

Good luck Rob, finding you bigger pinky toe.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

agree. and what better platform to modify for efficiency than the s2k. Its quite aerodynamic, light, and achieves great fuel economy out of the box.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:26 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Guys,

I should have some dynamat (sp) here next week (12sq/feet) of it. Going to put that on the roof liner (truck area) and either the doors or the fire wall. Thinking firewall first.

If there is an improvement. I'm going to do a little more. I'd still love to lower the RPMs. The rear diff seems like a logical place to do it but it would change the 1st gear start to the point I'd be slipping the clutch a lot.

Still looking into other alternatives, but I figured for $500 it'd be worth it but for $1000 + not.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 08-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dude, you did read the QuietCar threads right?

The transmission tunnel and both floor trays under the carpet (remove seats and carpet) are the best places to reduce noise. Trunk tray and gas tank are also good.

thetz99 had a great write up.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

is it worth doing all that with a soft top?
Old 08-28-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm actually sorta with the OP. i've been driving a lot between DC and upstate NY, and the 6-7 hours in the S2000 gets tiresome at any highway speed. i honestly feel like the car is harsher at ~65-70 mph than at 75-80 mph, but that's probably my imagination.

with the top up at 65 mph, the car is definitely loud, but with the top down, at any speed, i don't really object to the noise at all. if i'm cruising on the highway and want to hear NPR, i turn the speakers to +6 rear and put the windows up, and it's fine.

i have no complaints about DD'ing the car, and i have been doing it for 2 years now. i love going for drives on the weekend, and even running errands with it. however, if i had even my old RSX or something slightly quieter, i would rather take the alternate car on longer road trips.

i test drove a G37S and a couple other cars, and the S2000 is like 10 times louder at all speeds. i don't really notice how loud the S is unless i'm on the highway for hours at a time. in all other instances, i think i'm pretty used to it.

does the OEM hard top really make a huge difference in sound levels?
Old 08-28-2009, 02:24 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit,Aug 28 2009, 02:27 PM
Dude, you did read the QuietCar threads right?

The transmission tunnel and both floor trays under the carpet (remove seats and carpet) are the best places to reduce noise. Trunk tray and gas tank are also good.

thetz99 had a great write up.
Didn't. Going to get that instead. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do some searching. Many people have done this. Your diff idea is just bizarre.

Quick Reply: New Rear Diff