S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

NEW RADIATOR OVERHEATING

Old 03-14-2015, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW RADIATOR OVERHEATING

I have just got my car back from the garage after they fitted a new dual pass radiator and Modifry temp. fix for my AEM ECU.

I went for a 20mins. drive around town and the engine temps. shot up. The gauge went to 3/4 and I could smell the engine.

Previously even with a crusty old OEM radiator which was shot to bits my engine temps. stayed nice and low even on a warm
day.

On top of this my alarm fob is now not operating the alarm, I have replaced the battery and it is still not working.

My first thought is that the engine coolant isn't circulating properly following the coolant flush with air trapped in the system.
But with remote key fob also not working I am confused.

Could anyone please advise ?

Thanks
Old 03-14-2015, 12:15 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Do you have heat blowing out of the ventilation system ?, the first suspect is air in the cooling system, a sign of that is that you don't get hot air blowing out of the heating system.

They may have missed connecting the coalant temp switch or the radiator fans, you might want to check to see that they are connected and the fans come on. Don't drive it very far until you get this fixed as you can warp the head and blow a head gasket.

No idea about the fob issue.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:10 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

put climate controls to only front vents, full heat on the temp knob, max blower clicks and idle the car

if the air isn't blowing hot after a minute or two turn the car off, you have air in the system. follow billman's bleeding procedure

you can force the fans on by turning on the AC if you want to eliminate if they are connected correctly
Old 03-14-2015, 09:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would approach the key fob as a separate issue, and focus on the coolant system first. Just my 0.02

Is the Modifry unit a fixed setting, or is it adjustable? If it's adjustable, are you sure it's adjusted correctly?
Old 03-15-2015, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Do you have heat blowing out of the ventilation system ?, the first suspect is air in the cooling system, a sign of that is that you don't get hot air blowing out of the heating system.

They may have missed connecting the coalant temp switch or the radiator fans, you might want to check to see that they are connected and the fans come on. Don't drive it very far until you get this fixed as you can warp the head and blow a head gasket.

No idea about the fob issue.

Thanks for the replies.

There is hot air blowing out of the ventilation system. I don't know how to check the coolant temp. switch.

It was really alarming the shear heat coming from the engine block and radiator. I have a v-mount turbo setup with a
log manifold - the system was excellent previously and never over heated even in our mild summer. This was with the
crusty old oem radiator.

I am really concerned
Old 03-15-2015, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Habitforming
I would approach the key fob as a separate issue, and focus on the coolant system first. Just my 0.02

Is the Modifry unit a fixed setting, or is it adjustable? If it's adjustable, are you sure it's adjusted correctly?

Fixed setting and appears to be working fine.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
put climate controls to only front vents, full heat on the temp knob, max blower clicks and idle the car

if the air isn't blowing hot after a minute or two turn the car off, you have air in the system. follow billman's bleeding procedure

you can force the fans on by turning on the AC if you want to eliminate if they are connected correctly

A/C removed when v-mount installed.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:59 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Fans working? Sure does sound like the coolant system may need more bleeding of trapped air.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:09 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Bad thermostat?
Old 03-15-2015, 06:22 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

The temperature control switch is mounted onto the new radiator, down towards the bottom , on north American cars it is on the driver side of the rad, there is a factory plug that connects to the switch. Peak down there with a flashlight and see if there is a connector plugged into it.

If everything is okay with the switch, then try to see if the rad fans are working.

Quick Reply: NEW RADIATOR OVERHEATING