S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New PRM info

Old 02-14-2003, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Subaru2000
What he said ^

A bit of tube is not going to make any difference to this noise making warm air intake.
What's the weather like in "bliss" today
Old 02-15-2003, 02:02 AM
Banned

Sunny, but chilly and bliss it's not. Thanks for asking.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:47 AM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Nick-

I was looking at the pic of your engine, and I've decided that I like the PRM intake, but what I would really like, is a MATCHING SPOON-TYPE WEAVE CF AIR TUBING AND VELOCITY STACK for the PRM!

I would love to have this combo made somewhere. Even if PRM comes out with the silicone type tubing, I would prefer the custom look, and I'm sure the CF is no worse than the metal intake tubing, as far as heat soak.

Will you ask your CF guy if this is possible, and how long it would take?

-Pete
Old 02-15-2003, 05:39 AM

Kodokan_4

As far as the C/F and heatsoak, C/F would be much better than the Aluminum, C/F is a natural insulator - The metal absorbs heat and holds it longer than C/F or plastic for that matter!

If you are just going for a custom look, Some C/F shops can "wrap" your existing tubing with C/F and since we aren't talking about a weight issue that is the way I would go! Otherwise you would make a Two piece mold and fuse the pieces together with a seam on the sides or I heard of a "bladder" method or even some kind of crazy method where a material is used and it holds it shape and C/F is laid over it while it cures until it comes in contact with a chemical and dissolves leaving you with a perfect C/F skin - anyway, the wrap method would be most cost effective and the quickest turnaround! The C/F shop I use just completed a custom Harley and they wrapped the Tank Fenders and all the smaller components that were Fiberglass and I have to say it looked hot so I know they are capable of it!
Old 02-15-2003, 11:32 AM

I would jump in on that carbon fiber tube wrap big time. I've contacted several places but no one seems to be interested for only one or two people. I think if the PRM guys got together, we might have enough to make it worth the effort. I'd go cf before silicone anyday.
Old 02-15-2003, 12:22 PM

I just left the C/F shop and we popped the hood on my car and the guy said " No Problem" to the wrap thing, He also showed me a velocity Stack he made for his Harley that looks like a mini version of ours but if we are wraping the elbow I would think it was best to wrap just the outside of our Velocity Stack at least from a cost point of view!
Old 02-15-2003, 12:35 PM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

I wish I could get the tube and air horn made out of CF/Kevlar.

The wrap idea is good, too, but I think there are already clearance issues when using a STB, and that would seem to make it worse.

If the tube was CF/Kevlar, it might even be possible to give it a small bend for proper STB clearance.

Also, a CF replacement piece would reduce weight, instead of adding weight, like the wrap.

Nick- Could you check with your CF guy, and let us know what he can do, and how much it will cost?

I'll probably go for the wrap, if there is a STB that will fit. I would be willing to pay considerably more for the real thing, though.

Thanks, again.

-Pete
Old 02-15-2003, 08:44 PM

I haven't checked on the clearance of the Neuspeed STB but it probably would be close with the cf wrap. My goal (well, originally so but it's hard way up here in Vermont) was to find someone who could make the CAI pipe carbon fiber and the canister wrapped in CF. I hope you can nail it down for us!
Old 02-16-2003, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Spoon/Speed STB will barely clear as is...
Old 02-16-2003, 07:20 AM

I will look into costs for you Pete!
as far as weight, the wrap would be negligable, the tube is aluminum as is and the C/F weighs almost nothing with one layer (all that's required to wrap) and one layer of C/F is about as thick as a business card and the resin can be made thick or thin as needed so clearance shouldn't be an issue if you don't hit the STB now!
I will ask questions on Monday!

Quick Reply: New PRM info