S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New PRM info

Old 01-09-2003, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New PRM info

Just got off the phone with Gerry at PRM and we had a very pleasant 10 minute conversation on all that is air induction. He couldn't believe one order last spring from me had ballooned into more than 40 and he was even getting S2000 intake orders from England. Needless to say, I remain enthusiastic about his product and have good news for those who want to "jazz" up their S2K PRM intakes later this year. Gerry is "strongly" considering offering his F1-spec silicone hosing (in various colors) as a replacement for the aluminum piping aft of the black casing. He is currently working on fine tuning the hose and told me he would let me know when it was ready and would most graciously honor a group buy for current owners who want to replace their aluminum pipe with the silicone hose. The cost wasn't determined but he implied it
would be nominal because nothing else would have to be purchased for previous PRM owners.
In addition, I firmed up details on filter replacement for those who, if you're like me, would rather just buy a new filter rather than clean an old one. Replacement filters are NOT K&N as previously written but are identical in all aspects. They are $35 each and to replace the filter requires the removal of four phillips screws underneath the silver PRM sticker adjacent to the end of the intake on the left side.
If you don't want to remove the screws, then follow the cleaning instructions given to you with your kit and the sticker will remain unscathed.
He also added some information I wasn't aware of. Apparently they had dyno'd the current AEM offering against the PRM and the difference was 1hp favoring the AEM. As we all know, this # is insignificant because of the variables with any dyno test from one moment to the next. As I suspected all along, most of these aftermarket intakes will fall within 1-2hp of each other with asthetics, price and ease of install being the strong considerations for selection.
With the silicone piping (hopefully) soon to be an option, I think the PRM will give the S2000 engine bay an even more exotic look.
Having said all of this, I think it comes down to personal choices and I don't see any thing inherently wrong with the other intake offerings other than the possibility of water ingestion with those which place the filter just above the road surface but even that is an entirely different thread altogether. I do think however, that scenario is a logical concern and anyone considering such an intake is advised to contact current owners and ask for their opinions as I'm sure they will have much more detailed and accurate observations than I.
Anyways, I just wanted to say we have some asthetic options coming up in the near future for current and prospective PRM owners and I'm stoked about that. I posted in another thread about me tailing off on mods but this is one I won't hesitate to partake in.
As soon as Gerry firms up availability and pricing, I will get in touch with everyone here to gauge interest in a group buy price which Gerry seems very willing to do thanks to all the orders he has received from S2ki members.
Until then, unlike myself whose S2K is buried in snow, enjoy that incredible PRM at VTEC sound gravy.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been thinking seriously about purchasing the PRM over the AEM for the reasons you stated. When the silicone hose versions become available, I'll be one of the first in line to put this intake on my car.

Thanks for the update.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:45 PM

Russ,
Do you or anyone else know of other filters will fit the PRM? I don't want to use an oiled gauze type filter like K&N and don't want a discussion on the pros and cons cause I think that has been talked about elsewhere. Just looking to see if any paper or 2 or 3 stage foam filters would fit.

Thanks,
john
Old 01-09-2003, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Russ,
Where do you get a replacement filter exactly as what came with the PRM, and is there a K&N alternative?
Old 01-09-2003, 06:51 PM

I just installed a PRM intake and I love it and cant wait until we have the silicone offerings - that will be very nice, I am currently designing an extension to the horn that will take it into the opening making a true CAI and if it turns out to my standards I will make it available to other PRM owners - This is a great intake and I thank you for bringing it to light!!!!
Old 01-09-2003, 06:52 PM

I'm another one who would use the PRM if there were a paper filter available that fit it.

Until then, I'm sticking with stock.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:17 AM

I'm not sure about the paper filter option. I'll e-mail Gerry for his .02 on that one. As for the extension Nzaizar, trust me....I've tried at least six modifications to the design and yours is one of them. The only one I've seen that showed an improvement over the stock design is the one I'm using now. IOW, hose from the wheel well opening leading up thru the gaps in the wheel well and stopped SHORT of the horn section. You eliminate the horns effectiveness by putting an extension inside of it (I know that's not your intention but I just wanted to add that bit of info) and by extending the horn into the wheel well, you eliminate the fairly significant amount of air that comes in through the front grille opening (especially at high speeds). What you've done is essentially made the only air inlet the inside of the wheel well and I believe the pressure and amount of air is going to be reduced. By ADDING a hose from the opening and running it up to the horn section but stopping short of it, my testing has shown this to be the best of both worlds. IF the faux brake duct is removed, it should only get better, if only slightly.
Just my observations done with the intake since April of last year when I began tinkering with it. Gerry's original design is very well thought out and to be honest, any improvements to it with regards to location of the filter or horn are going to be almost indecipherable from stock. For instance, we're talking less than one tenth of a second (my testing anyway). That kind of performance increase could easily be negated by a few bars of gasoline. Still....I tinker.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:22 AM

Great news! Now I know how to replace the filter, I didn't even think to remove the sticker and check for screws.

Dario
Old 01-12-2003, 12:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Russ,
I was one of the first, after you of course, to get the PRM and have fought tooth and nail with the naysayers about it ever since. Its great to get that dyno info, so the next time I hear "its just a big horn that sucks hot air" I can't point them to this thread. Well, my hat is off to ya...thanks for being a trailblazer! Just curious, what is the advantage of the silicone pipe vs aluminum? Cooler temps (doesn't seem right though...the air wouldn't spend enough time in the the pipe to heat up) improved sound?
Old 01-12-2003, 02:40 AM

All I know is when I had my gauges installed, the mechanics pointed a pyrometer at the aluminum piping and the temp was, if I can recall, about 60 degrees HIGHER than the reading they got when they pointed it at the black casing which encloses the filter. Even the head mechanic who did the install (I only let him work on my S2000) said the PRM was a very effective design. I agree that the air flowing through the silicone section isn't going to spend much time in there but at idle, wouldn't there be air holding itself in that area until the car accelerated, which would then be the cause of heat soak from a standing start? If that air temperature could be lowered significantly with the silicone hose, I would think whatever heat soak condition might exist would be minimized that much further.
For an asthetics reason alone (I can be just as shallow as the next guy...lol), I'm going with the red silicone to match the valve cover.

Quick Reply: New PRM info