S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

new owner needs help whith mods

Old 09-22-2002, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brakes
Old 09-23-2002, 07:29 AM

look i am just looking to build a great car thought this would be one to do that with. i am looking for a little constructive knowledge from some one who knows better not some one how does have anything better to do than to shoot some else down b/c they dont want to be out done. ( una,pll)
I'm the only one in the area w/ a copmtech sc, I believe. what size pulley does the comptech come with? the comptech comes with a full kit that includes fuel system upgrades, all hoses and drive belt and a comptech esm unit. Where can u find out more on fine tuning?
Old 09-23-2002, 07:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ducati728
[B]look i am just looking to build a great car thought this would be one to do that with.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:02 AM

Ducati,

I agree with the Unabageler.

While I don't regret the mods I've done -- the turbo addressed my frustration with the car's mid-range power, and the car is a hoot to drive -- there's a lot about this game of aftermarket modifications that's complete mind-muck.

The objective of having, "the fastest, best sounding S," is (at least to my mind) a bit off-center. If you're planning on being king of the stoplights, I doubt there'll be many S2K owners who'll sign up for the coronation ceremony. The car's not made for that game (even with your mods). You'd have been better off buying a used 5.0 Mustang and switching to a high-ratio gear set. If you're planning on blowing by your fellow S2K owners at the track, you wont' get much praise for having done it with 130 more wheel horsepower.

In short, you're paying a lot for bragging rights that you'll never get to use. Ask yourself what's wrong with the car in stock form before you start dumping a lot of money into fixing it. Alignment's cost $100 or so and change the car's disposition enormously.

The Unabageler's not offering up advice (remember that his post was NOT unsolicited -- YOU asked for it) because he's afraid of being "out done." Please! He makes some valid points. At least hear what he's said, acknowledge it, and give him (and everyone else who's responded to your post) your respect for trying to help.
Old 09-23-2002, 03:26 PM

Bender, How is that Turbo. I was trying to figure out a way to bosst more mid range power on the S especially coming out of alow corners. waiting fo rthe power to come on some time put a damper on driving a good fun run. I want something that is simple and cost effective without having to change every piece of drive train in the S. Cold air intake( inexpensive), headers( more expensive), Turbo( very expensive) or other options. Let me know.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:16 PM

bender,
i was not trying to sound unappreciative of any advice given about modifying my s to it's fullest potential. Any info given to my mechanically ignorant -ss is greatly appreciated and needed.
thanks
Old 09-23-2002, 06:35 PM

I think I definitely have to go through more Driver Training, and I've been going hard on this thing for over 3 years (I got the 50th S2000 ever made)

A friend on a bike explained it to me like this:

When you first buy a sports bike, say a 500cc. It might have a potential to do a lap of track at say 180 seconds. Because of your inexperience, you're doing it in say 240 seconds instead.

Now you have two options. You can get a bigger bike, say a 750cc, and do the track in 180, or you could keep the same bike, and improve your skills until you can do the track in 180s. Once you can do that, get the bigger bike, and you'll automatically be doing faster.

I am upgrading my S to get rid of some of the low end torque problem, only for drag racing, but I think that for serious track work, it's not the car - I need more experience to cut down times.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:15 PM

Duc,
I think the first thing you need to realize is that your statement about the fastest, best looking, etc was a bit ignorant. If for no other reason than this is where most of the hard core S2K guys roam about. What I mean by that is that most of us on the board who frequent the under the hood section and offer up advice are doing so for the benefit of the "community" and not to outdo one another. We do what we can to help each other out when stumped and also make posts showing how we have overcome different issues so that the next guy/gal doesn't have to look much further than here for some decent advice from people who have been there. I think that any "bashing" that has taken place in the post is not to knock on you more to, and I hate to put it this way, put you back in your place. And please don't take that the wrong way. All I mean by that is that there will always be someone out there with a better version of what the Joneses have. Your goal should be "To have a well handling, powerful, enjoyable (enough adjectives??) ride". Now this is only my opinion but I think you'll get a little bit better response with that attitude. Some of the people who have posted on this thread have got more know how about the S2K than most Honda techs. Just my two cents. At this point, the only advice I can offer you is to wait till your baby arrives and get used to it and it's quirks as is. If you feel the need to keep going forward right away then work on the "best sounding" portion and slap in some ice. In every expirament there needs to be a control. If you don't know what it was like before, you're not going to know if it's any better after another $5000. Drive safe.
Larry
Old 09-24-2002, 04:49 AM

RaceZX9, to keep this on topic, I'll PM you about the turbo.