S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

new owner needs help... hearing noise from tranny

Old 06-04-2006, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner needs help... hearing noise from tranny

Hey guys... i wanted to know if this is normal or something I should get checked out... after excelerating then letting go of the gas I can hear a noise that sounds like grinding coming from the front end... when I push the clutch in the noise goes away.... any ideas??? I checked heat sheilds and stuff and everything is tight.... I don't hear the noise when i'm in neutral and hit the gas either....
Old 06-04-2006, 10:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It is likely you have the clutch deceleration "buzz". Almost all early model (and many later ones) have this. It just a noise and has no adverse affects on the operation of the car. A new clutch disc may resolve this but in most cases, it comes back.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:28 AM

that's what the pervious owner said too but it got louder with the exhaust so I didn't know if it was worst now or not... thanks!
Old 06-04-2006, 10:47 AM

It may have simply be coincidence that it got louder with the exhaust. This clutch buzz does tend to get much, much louder when the car is driven hard and everything gets hot.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Jun 4 2006, 12:07 PM
A new clutch disc may resolve this but in most cases, it comes back.
The new FD from Honda (out a few years with a new part number) really has an updated design for the springs and spring mounts. I do not think it will ever come back close to the level of noise the original disks made.

In the cars I have experience with it is definitely a fix and any noise that comes after use is within a reasonable range. In my car with over 15K on the new disk I do not notice any deceleration buzz.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:36 PM

This sounds like a problem I have (have just posted the question) did you get it solved?
Old 06-06-2006, 02:19 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Action Dave,Jun 6 2006, 01:36 PM
This sounds like a problem I have (have just posted the question) did you get it solved?
It has been solved, well sorta, nothing to solve, the noise is due to the springs in the clutch that keeps teh clutch planted onto the flywheel. In our year (2000) those springs were known to make noise upon decelerating, nothing to worry about though as everything is fine, just have to deal with the noise is all. Also, if you're under warranty, you can get your clutch replaced under a TSB, forgot the number though, just fyi.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Jun 6 2006, 03:19 PM
It has been solved, well sorta, nothing to solve, the noise is due to the springs in the clutch that keeps teh clutch planted onto the flywheel. In our year (2000) those springs were known to make noise upon decelerating, nothing to worry about though as everything is fine, just have to deal with the noise is all. Also, if you're under warranty, you can get your clutch replaced under a TSB, forgot the number though, just fyi.
Not quite. The clutch disc springs don't really aid in clamping onto the flywheel. The pressure plate does this. The disc springs are there to take up some of the shock load when you engage the clutch. Without them, you would have an ON/OFF type of clutch and slipping it would be very harsh or nearly impossible when taking off.
What causes the buzz is .............................................. The transmission has a natural resonance vibration under certain operating conditions. This vibration gets tranmitted forward and eventually reaches the clutch disc springs. It is these springs that vibrate at a certain frequency that becomes an audible sound.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:17 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Thanks for clarifying, I got mixed up with my words, again what would we do without Viper .
Old 06-11-2006, 01:34 PM

Took everything off - looks at it , it's all fine played with the engine on a lift and the sound doesn't start up when you start the car , it comes after the engine is warm like viper said

Quick Reply: new owner needs help... hearing noise from tranny