S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New owner of "high milage" s2k - what to watch out for

Old 10-06-2013, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of "high milage" s2k - what to watch out for

I just picked up my first s2000 (2001, silver) this weekend. What a blast this car is! I cannot keep the smile off of my face while I'm driving it.

The car came to me from a reputable used car dealer that had their mechanics "go over it", but it "didn't need any work". I have an 18mo/18000 mile warranty... but the car has almost 160k miles on it. The car came with no history or even a manual. I don't know what, if anything has been replaced/repaired on it other than a couple things that were obvious to see, like a custom air intake (injen) and slotted/drilled rotors (bleh).

The car sounds and feels very solid, but that doesn't mean much, which is why I got the warranty. I'm looking for some guidance on what kinds of things I should be looking for that are common, and at these miles, what I should be running to a mechanic about before the warranty expires.

I'm also interested in hearing what "high miles" is for these cars. What should I expect between 160k and 250k?

This car is my daily driver and weekend fun car, but my daily commute is only 5 miles each way (which suddenly doesn't seem like as much of a good thing as it did a few days ago). Regardless, I'm not planning on it getting even 10,000 miles per year.

Your input is very much appreciated!
Old 10-06-2013, 04:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Read the first two posts. Check whatever you forget to check before buying it, and perform the maintenance listed.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/775...-a-used-s2000/
Old 10-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

watch for oil consumption & Get an alarm system.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:26 PM

Get a OEM security system and not some shitty aftermarket hack job
Old 10-06-2013, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel cutoff switch. Hide it well. Or put 2, one not hidden well and a 2nd hidden very well lol.

I also have quick release steering wheel with a hub lock for security more than for looks, although my OEM wheel was pretty chewed up.

Seat locks.

If they want the car bed enough they will take it, but making it hard for them/time consuming will hopefully be enough to make them move on. Congrats on the purchase! Hopefully you get to try some auto-x/track time with it. You won't regret it.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by dwight
Read the first two posts. Check whatever you forget to check before buying it, and perform the maintenance listed.
thank you - perfect! I guess I should have looked harder before asking :-/
Old 10-06-2013, 11:09 PM

watch for oil consumption & Get an alarm system.
Get a OEM security system and not some shitty aftermarket hack job
Fuel cutoff switch. Hide it well. Or put 2, one not hidden well and a 2nd hidden very well lol.

I also have quick release steering wheel with a hub lock for security more than for looks, although my OEM wheel was pretty chewed up.

Seat locks.

If they want the car bed enough they will take it, but making it hard for them/time consuming will hopefully be enough to make them move on. Congrats on the purchase! Hopefully you get to try some auto-x/track time with it. You won't regret it.
Thank you all. I was just looking at some of the seat locks earlier today. Hadn't thought about a fuel cutoff, but I like the idea.

Any suggestions for a security system that will do a good job without breaking the bank?
Old 10-06-2013, 11:26 PM

Valve retainers, swap them for ap2 retainers. Mine cost me a motor when one sank
Old 10-07-2013, 03:42 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

im with Dwight, do the maintenance first.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by dwight
Can't go wrong with this thread. And change over all the fluids. It won't cost much, especially if you do it yourself. Plenty of DIYs on here for that.

And mileage means nothing if the car is well maintained. After reading through the thread and doing all the fluid changes, you will have a better idea as to what condition the car is in.

Quick Reply: New owner of "high milage" s2k - what to watch out for