S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New owner - car has close to 2 year old engine oil

Old 06-07-2009, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wouldn't suggest using mobil 1 either unless you like to burn oil
Old 06-07-2009, 04:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the advices. I would rather keep the oil in there but just worried about the oil degrading and picking up moisture from sitting in the engine for 2 yrs.

Is it confirmed that there is no "special Honda break-in oil" or there are still two separate camps on this?

Will do the "Roll Call" next week after pick up
Old 06-07-2009, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by LcS2000,Jun 7 2009, 01:24 AM
i wouldn't suggest using mobil 1 either unless you like to burn oil
Funny, I can go a whole 5k mile cycle on my Mobil 1 with really no addition of extra oil. I must be doing it wrong.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by my_slow_civic,Jun 7 2009, 05:58 PM
Funny, I can go a whole 5k mile cycle on my Mobil 1 with really no addition of extra oil. I must be doing it wrong.
rofl. i have owned my s2k for 4 years, only owner, and never have ever burned mobile one since the first day. 37k on the motor, 6k on it SC. anyones car that burns oil has problems, either from normal wear or premature wear.

i would change the oil, pretty sure its either 5k miles, or 6 months, which ever comes first. its long past due. i woudl have them change the oil with the normal synthetic they put in at honda dealer. drive the car easy for about 1k miles. then rail on it like its meant to be driven. i didnt change my oil when i bought it until 7500 miles, the factory reccomeneded first interval. then 5k every since.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:54 PM

I would agree with the manny saying that the engine itself isn't a sealed bottle. Why don't you just ask the guys at Honda to do it as a part of the package?? Just replace with break in dino oil and new filter, it costs bugger all and will finalize the deal... so Honda will do it!

over couple $$$ why risk causing some damage at such an early engine age...
Old 06-07-2009, 02:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I started using Castrol Syntec (full synthetic) since the first oil change at 3,000 miles. I have 128,500 on it now and no problems, though I'm very worried about the valve retainer issue but that has nothing to do w/ what kind of oil is in it.

As for the oil being in there for so long, I'm not sure but I'd be a bit worried. I've heard that the acids in the oil (made as a by-product of the combustion process) can eat away at the bearing surfaces (mains, rods, cam etc). I don't know how true that is but I would contact a rep w/ the American Petroleum Institute for a definitive answer.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by camuman,Jun 7 2009, 05:10 PM
anyones car that burns oil has problems, either from normal wear or premature wear.

Not necessarily. During the Fall Colors track event a few years ago, there was an oil consumption issue. Turns out it was due to a lot of right-hand turns that sloshed oil to the left side of the engine and oil went up to through the PCV valve which was then burned through combustion.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'm not concerned with the cost of changing the oil and whether it should be dino or sythethic but rather Honda insists that they use a special break-in oil and it shouldn't be replaced until 7500 miles. A lot of people say there is no special break-in oil while others insist there is . Thats the confusing part. Since you can't buy this special oil, I don't know whether to leave the original oil or have them change it out and hence the post.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont have facts for this, but i find it hard to beleive the manufacturer would leave such a special and important break in procedure up to the public. i wouldnt be surpised if the motor was broken in at the factory, and then popped into the car. and the break in we are all use too is more a wives tale then anything.

now if you rebuild a motor, i 100% agree you break it in with conventional oil or some sort of break in oil. but brand new car, i doubt the overreacting is necessary.

funny thing, my friend bought a tl sh awd , an 09, and they told him drive it normal, its broken in at the factory.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:12 AM

Conventional oil will accelerate the break in process by adding more carbon, which will harden to complete all of the gasket/ring seals.

Id just stay out of Vtec for the first 500, after that you should be fine

Quick Reply: New owner - car has close to 2 year old engine oil