S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New noise after TCT install

Old 08-19-2014, 04:52 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Default New noise after TCT install

Ok, I was getting an intermittent rattle from the TCT area, not so much a TCT specific noise just a rattle (think cold start that didn't go away). I ordered a Billman TCT and installed it yesterday. Instal went fine, I still had the rattle on start, but it went away when warm. Now I was left with much more valve chatter than I recall. Thinking maybe it is quieter so now I can hear that I need an adjustment I shut it off with the plan of doing an adjustment when my tool arrives in the mail (I previously checked them, but only spot adjusted as I didn't have the proper tool). Later I decided to fire it back up and not as much chatter, but a howling noise from the front of the valve cover.

After a bit of searching I developed a theory/course of action. My theory/fear is that the cam bolt is potentially loosened causing the rattle/chatter. The new TCT increased tension pulling the cam gear inward, maybe contacting the valve cover and causing the howl. I just came up with this and since I am at work I am not able to check it, I hope to hell I am wrong because all the threads I have read, nothing good comes from that bolt being lose. My next step is to check the torque on that bolt. I am also going to pull the cover to adjust the valves in any case, I will take a look around for anything else out of the ordinary then, as well as do a full valve adjustment.

If the bolt is tight, I adjust the valves, and nothing else looks odd, I think I just may chalk it up to noise that the chain/guides can make after 135k miles of use. Any other thoughts/things to look for? And to clarify to check the torque on that 8mm, I just set the torque wrench to 36 fit lbs and torque it with a 8mm, no need to loosen and then torque.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:56 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Dont know what the noise is......this motor is loud though.
But to torque the fastener needs to be moving.....just putting the torque wrench on and "torquing" it is not proper
Old 08-19-2014, 05:27 AM

Yeah, I know they are noisy, but I definitely had a rattle that turned into valve chatter/light howl from the front of the VC after TCT install.

The paranoid crazy freak part of me thinks maybe a lose cam bolt, which can easily be checked/confirmed by re torquing, which based on your suggestion I need to break it lose then torque, although I swear I read a post where Billman said there was no need for this bolt and quite frankly I don't like messing with this thing, lol.

The more common sense side says that after 135k miles the chain stretched and guides are a bit worn which caused the rattle. New TCT increases tension causing at first a valve clatter while the chain and guides got use to the new tension and now a howl/whine. Which is really no immediate concern.

I am just checking if there are any other things to look at. I have no issue driving the car like this, just want to be sure the car isn't trying to warn me of something going wrong.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:24 PM

Well I checked the torque. Someone has obviously messed with this bolt, my guess is that it was leaking so they cranked it down. I backed it off 1/4 turn and it didn't move with 36 ftlbs, not feeling comfortable leaving it loser I cranked it back the 1/4 turn. My guess is it is around 45ftlbs. I am content leaving it unless someone says having it a bit too tight can effect the cam gear.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:23 PM

Valve cover off, everything looks great. A bit of what appears to be "new wear" on the chain. I am now all but convinced it is the new TCT causing pressure that the chain has not been use to in ages, which is causing the whine/howl. Valves will be adjusted tomorrow and that will be that unless I hear otherwise. If this f^*<ker blows then so be it!!
Old 08-20-2014, 05:02 AM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
The more common sense side says that after 135k miles the chain stretched and guides are a bit worn which caused the rattle. New TCT increases tension causing at first a valve clatter while the chain and guides got use to the new tension and now a howl/whine. Which is really no immediate concern.

This is completely incorrect. I don't know what your noise is, but it is not due to increased chain tension.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by bgoetz
My theory/fear is that the cam bolt is potentially loosened causing the rattle/chatter. The new TCT increased tension pulling the cam gear inward, maybe contacting the valve cover and causing the howl
This is a very far out comment and I assure you 100% it is not the case.

The chances of you camwheel bolt being loose is under 1%.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:09 AM

You tightened the two TCT bolts, THEN pulled the pin?
Old 08-20-2014, 05:28 AM

Thanks for the guidance Billman. Yes that is exactly what I did, tightened the bolts, then pulled the pin. Now instead of a intermittent rattle/chatter there is a light howling directly from the front of the valve cover.

I pulled the cover off and everything looks great.

Is it ok to leave that cam bolt as is (a bit tight presumably from the previous owner cranking it down)?
Old 08-20-2014, 05:31 AM

There is also the very real possibility that I am hearing something that was always there, just not apparent over the previous engine noise.

Quick Reply: New noise after TCT install