S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New MTF from Acura and possible FF oil explanation

Old 09-20-2006, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 20 2006, 07:29 PM
But not for the reasons most people are concerned about. It has been my conjecture that Honda put a lot of things into the owners manual and into their memos and notices to dealers for all kinds of reasons. Take for example why they want you to have the engine turned OFF before operating the top. They have their reasons, but not necessarily because the factory fill oil is something magical. I can give you some speculative reasons why, but this would only hurt peoples' feelings and burst their bubbles, so I'll keep them to myself.
Oh cmon! Now you got me curious!

PS: Why do they not want us to operate the top with the engine on?
Old 09-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried almost everything in the tranny now.

So far the best has been Amsoil MTF. It's not the best feeling stuff right off the bat but it doesnt change no matter what you do. It basically feels like honda MTL from day one all the time.

I found the GMSMFM was the best for feel but after 3 weeks it started to degrade. It felt like butter until then. However it was GARBAGE after my first track day so I never looked back at this stuff.

Redline, both MTL and MTL/MT90 combo was ok. Nothing to brag about and it degraded slowly which was good. NO GOOD FOR COLD TEMPS THOUGH.

Honda MTF is great for about a week. After that it's garbage.

Unless something better comes out I won't be putting anything other than Amsoil MTF in for now on.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsmply,Sep 20 2006, 08:05 PM
Oh cmon! Now you got me curious!

PS: Why do they not want us to operate the top with the engine on?
I was more talking about keeping my mouth shut about my theories on why Honda touted the "magic" break in oil, so I'll give you my thoughts on the top operation. It's their lawyers talking. They want to ensure that noone operates the top in a situation where they could or would be in a position to actually drive the car when the top is in any state of being raised or lowered.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jasonoff,Sep 20 2006, 09:10 PM
I have tried almost everything in the tranny now.

So far the best has been Amsoil MTF. It's not the best feeling stuff right off the bat but it doesnt change no matter what you do. It basically feels like honda MTL from day one all the time.

I found the GMSMFM was the best for feel but after 3 weeks it started to degrade. It felt like butter until then. However it was GARBAGE after my first track day so I never looked back at this stuff.

Redline, both MTL and MTL/MT90 combo was ok. Nothing to brag about and it degraded slowly which was good. NO GOOD FOR COLD TEMPS THOUGH.

Unless something better comes out I won't be putting anything other than Amsoil MTF in for now on.
I don't know. Either I don't drive my car nearly as hard as you all do . . . or I think some trannys are just better than others. My tranny is very notchy when cold . . . but once it warms up . . . it might still be a little notchy sometimes but it has nothing to do with fluid freshness. The tranny fluid seems to response the same in my tranny no matter if its brand new or 10,000 miles old, and that is just Honda MTF. Haven't even tried the others yet.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Banned

Do you track your car at all?
Old 09-20-2006, 07:42 PM

No, not as of yet. But when you say its trashed after a week . . .do you mean a week of track events or just a week of hard driving? If you mean a week of track events then obviousl I had you wrong.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jasonoff,Sep 20 2006, 08:10 PM

J, I think your tranny can't be considered the norm. I think the previous owner may have done some irreparable wear and tear on the car. Most S2000 owners (including myself) have been doing quite well using the Honda MTF for many, many years. Your tranny may be in a condition that only a fresh change of fluid or only just the "right" kind of fluid will mask what's wrong with it.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Banned

You could be right Dave... it's not as bad as I make it sound actually.

Don't forget i am VERY picky.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jasonoff,Sep 20 2006, 11:37 PM
Don't forget i am VERY picky.
I've seen your choice in women.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:31 AM
Banned

Thanks.... but she's a thing of the past now. Actually about a month ago, thought you knew.

Time to move on to someone else now

Quick Reply: New MTF from Acura and possible FF oil explanation