S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New MTF from Acura and possible FF oil explanation

Old 09-16-2006, 03:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New MTF from Acura and possible FF oil explanation

I found this link on BITOG. Does anyone have any experience with the new Acura Precision Crafted MTF that is shown in this bulletin? Is it compatible with the S2K tranny (carbon fiber synchro's)?
Also, there is an article on Acura factory fill engine oil. It may corroborate what Xviper has been saying all along...that the S2K factory fill is just regular dino oil with high moly content due to engine assembly pre-lube.
Anyways, I thought this service bulletin might be interesting to the UTH crowd:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B060800.PDF
Old 09-16-2006, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That should just about end the debate on the "break-in" oil.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in that new MTF as well. Will it work in all MYs? The TSB says it's backwards compatible.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:21 AM

can someone find out more about the MTF on page 8 of this bulletin?
Old 09-16-2006, 12:43 PM

Subscribed. Im very interested in this as well Ill get in touch with my buddy at honda and see if hes heard anything
Old 09-20-2006, 12:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm still waiting to get a sample of "factory fill" oil from someone to do an analysis on it. I've got one from an "older" oil change and one from an engine that was rebuilt at the dealership. It has high moly content similar to what has been mentioned here for the "factory fill". I just need proof.
It's never been a "debate" with me, but more of a "prove it" sort of thing for those who think there is some kind of "magic, break in" oil from the factory.
It's heartening to see that at least Acura has come out and stated this in print. It's just too bad that Honda put that "special additives" sentence in their documentation. This is very misleading and has spawned a whole community of S2000 owners who think it's critical to keep the original oil in there for as long as possible and go out waving it around like it was some kind of decree from God.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 20 2006, 03:22 PM
I'm still waiting to get a sample of "factory fill" oil from someone to do an analysis on it. I've got one from an "older" oil change and one from an engine that was rebuilt at the dealership. It has high moly content similar to what has been mentioned here for the "factory fill". I just need proof.
It's never been a "debate" with me, but more of a "prove it" sort of thing for those who think there is some kind of "magic, break in" oil from the factory.
It's heartening to see that at least Acura has come out and stated this in print. It's just too bad that Honda put that "special additives" sentence in their documentation. This is very misleading and has spawned a whole community of S2000 owners who think it's critical to keep the original oil in there for as long as possible and go out waving it around like it was some kind of decree from God.
You mean that wasn't on Moses' tablets?
Old 09-20-2006, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hunh? It says pretty clearly that it's critical to leave the factory fill in the motor until the first scheduled maintenance.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jsmply,Sep 20 2006, 02:33 PM
You mean that wasn't on Moses' tablets?
Moses drove a Chev.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by glagola1,Sep 20 2006, 02:44 PM
Hunh? It says pretty clearly that it's critical to leave the factory fill in the motor until the first scheduled maintenance.
But not for the reasons most people are concerned about. It has been my conjecture that Honda put a lot of things into the owners manual and into their memos and notices to dealers for all kinds of reasons. Take for example why they want you to have the engine turned OFF before operating the top. They have their reasons, but not necessarily because the factory fill oil is something magical. I can give you some speculative reasons why, but this would only hurt peoples' feelings and burst their bubbles, so I'll keep them to myself.

Quick Reply: New MTF from Acura and possible FF oil explanation