S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New fuel pump question!

Old 05-27-2015, 06:33 PM
RZA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New fuel pump question!

Hey guys. I have a walbro 450lph currently and it went bad and now need to have a new one put in. It'll be the same pump and now this might be a noob question but if I just swap in a new one it shouldn't need a new tune or anything should it since that the AEM ecm is still controlling it? It's wired to the battery.

ALSO, I'm putting a new one in because I can't find the problem as to why my fuel pump will stop working. It's happened twice before. This is the third, the fuel pump after months of being okay just suddenly won't kick on, took it the the shop the first time and they said there was a broke wire, they fixed it. Second time, same shop, said there was a short in the wire, they fixed it (but only replaced that section?) and now another shop said I need a new fuel pump so my question is will a faulty fuel pump give these issues? How can it be the pump if it's happened twice but been fixed by messing with wiring each time? Need answers quick because the shop wants to know. Thank you guys!
Old 05-28-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2 things to consider, which I had similar problems. Are you using the same gauge wire directly to the pump itself? Some people splice the wire at the top and the size difference with the increased current load can cause a lot of resistance.

Second, do you run the tank till empty then fill up? These high volume pumps get PISSED if you run them low, they will heat up quickly and take a shit. I never run mine with less than 1/4 a tank and even that is pushing it IMO.

Rereading your post tells me you should examine the wire, run the same gauge wire directly to the pump itself. Don't splice it at the top of the pump carrier.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should take your car to Chris Sharma in LA, he is amazing with these things and does great work.

http://www.naturalaspirations.com/
Old 05-28-2015, 11:02 AM
RZA

Originally Posted by Chitoki
2 things to consider, which I had similar problems. Are you using the same gauge wire directly to the pump itself? Some people splice the wire at the top and the size difference with the increased current load can cause a lot of resistance.

Second, do you run the tank till empty then fill up? These high volume pumps get PISSED if you run them low, they will heat up quickly and take a shit. I never run mine with less than 1/4 a tank and even that is pushing it IMO.

Rereading your post tells me you should examine the wire, run the same gauge wire directly to the pump itself. Don't splice it at the top of the pump carrier.
No I never let it run empty. Lowest it's gotten was about 3 bars on the gauge. In regards to the wiring it's the same size all the way back but it does see pretty small for the pump. Like its a tiny wore you'd see on a speaker not a aftermarker fuel pump so maybe it got burned up somewhere along the car? I can't think of what it could be. It can't be the pump if it's happened twice before and now it happened again? Or maybe the pump did go bad and this is completely unrelated to before? But I doubt it. The only thing I can think is that it's a wiring issue. So I'll probabaly have the shop replace all the wiring for it and see where it takes me. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you currently do not have your pump running off an independent relay circuit to pull direct voltage from the battery, then you should.

https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index...ring-kits.html

Trying to run the Walbro 450 on stock wiring is just silly.

Remove the pump and hook it up directly to +12V and a ground to check that it still works. If it doesn't turn on then, buy a new pump too.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:34 AM
RZA

Okay so the shop called and said the pump went bad because the system is running to lean. Could there be truth to that? How can my car running lean cause the fuel pump to fail? Need info I'm dying lol.
And it's already direct to the battery.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The engine running lean is an effect of the pump dying, not the other way around.

Do they have the pump out of the car? If so, tell them to hook one pole to +12V and the other pole to a ground and see if it runs. This will at least prove that it is/isn't completely dead. Then have them check voltage at the connector that plugs into the pump.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:42 PM
RZA

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
The engine running lean is an effect of the pump dying, not the other way around.

Do they have the pump out of the car? If so, tell them to hook one pole to +12V and the other pole to a ground and see if it runs. This will at least prove that it is/isn't completely dead. Then have them check voltage at the connector that plugs into the pump.
I will have them do that when I'm off work. I'll update you guys. Thanks for the info