S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New flywheel necesary when doing a clutch change?

Old 12-03-2008, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've read it is not recommended to resurface our flywheel. I think it is cheap insurance to go ahead and replace it while the tranny is dropped. Consider that you will not be replacing the friction disk again for quite some time, so replacing the flywheel now is a good idea.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Compared to many cars I've driven, the engagement point in the S is high on the pedal (which I prefer to the opposite of many).

If he has little experience with this car, I would not go by that as a diagnostic tool. If the clutch isn't slipping during normal driving, or exhibiting other weird signs of chatter or consistent gear grinding (broken spring or trim piece usually does this) I'm not hearing reasons for a clutch job.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by jeffguynyc,Dec 2 2008, 10:56 AM
I think I may just have to get a second opinion on whether or not I really need to even get a clutch change. I thought my car drove ok, but when I brought my car to the mechanic to get an alignment, the guy said the clutch engagement point seemed extremely high. Now the mechanic is a good buddy of mine and I'm positive that he wasn't trying to scam me. Perhaps he just hasn't worked on that many s2ks?

My car currently has just over 23k miles. When I purchased it from a friend over a year ago, the odometer only read 14k. It's pretty damn hard not to drive this car aggressively once in a while. When I say aggressive I don't mean on the track or attempting to drift. Just the occasional run on the highway. My S isn't my primary car so I was a bit surprised to hear that my clutch maybe worn. The buddy I bought the S from babied the car even more than I do.

Still not sure what to do. Last thing I want to just to get a new clutch for the hell of it. Either way, I've heard nothing but good things about Hardtopguy's clutch package so I'm sure I can't go wrong.
Our clutches engage high!
If your clutch isn't slipping you don't need a new one. It just sounds like the mechanic isnt that familiar with the S2000.

Leave it alone, your good to go.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:47 PM

Thanks for all the replys fellas. I went to a local meet tonight and got some more opinions from a few members. Seems as if I'm just being paranoid. I think what drove my nuts was the smell of the clutch the few times that I drove the car aggressively. It maybe that I "glazed" the clutch which isn't good for the car, but also doesn't warrant a full clutch change. I also got a few more tips on really testing out whether the clutch really is gone or not. But it seems that the answer I keep hearing from everyone is that if the clutch was really worn out, it would be pretty damn obvious. While I would rather not wait till my clutch gets to that condition, I also don't like to spend money changing something that still has plenty of life left.

Yea, I believe that my S was the second or third one that my friend worked on in his shop. I also think that my car was the only Ap1 that he's actually driven. I dunno if Ap2's clutch point or transmission feels different but I'd imagine that it probably is since the engine isn't the same. I know that the Ap2 flywheel is heavier......so perhaps that has an effect on the feel.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by jeffguynyc,Dec 3 2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks for all the replys fellas. I went to a local meet tonight and got some more opinions from a few members. Seems as if I'm just being paranoid. I think what drove my nuts was the smell of the clutch the few times that I drove the car aggressively. It maybe that I "glazed" the clutch which isn't good for the car, but also doesn't warrant a full clutch change. I also got a few more tips on really testing out whether the clutch really is gone or not. But it seems that the answer I keep hearing from everyone is that if the clutch was really worn out, it would be pretty damn obvious. While I would rather not wait till my clutch gets to that condition, I also don't like to spend money changing something that still has plenty of life left.

Yea, I believe that my S was the second or third one that my friend worked on in his shop. I also think that my car was the only Ap1 that he's actually driven. I dunno if Ap2's clutch point or transmission feels different but I'd imagine that it probably is since the engine isn't the same. I know that the Ap2 flywheel is heavier......so perhaps that has an effect on the feel.
Set the parking brake on your car and push in the clutch, then put the car in 6th gear and slowly let off the clutch. If the car stalls immediately then the clutch is good. If the clutch stalls when your foot is almost off the pedal, you need a new clutch. Every time you romp on your car, you're most likely going to smell burning clutch, that's just the way it is when you drive your car hard.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:57 PM

I change my clutch and didnt change out the flywheel wish i did though i just got mine resurfaced only cost 20 bucks more the shop will tell you if your really need it or not. in my opinion go with the flywheel if you got extra money laying around
Old 12-05-2008, 11:33 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. btw, I was wondering whether or not the hardtopguy's clutch package can potentially last longer than stock due to the heavier pressure plate?
Old 12-06-2008, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by jeffguynyc,Dec 6 2008, 12:33 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. btw, I was wondering whether or not the hardtopguy's clutch package can potentially last longer than stock due to the heavier pressure plate?
Depends on driving style and how you use your car. I wouldn't bank on it though.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:41 PM

if i were you, yes, i will definetly get flywheels if upgrading clutch, so that way i wont have to deal with taking apart the tranny again, thats if you are doing it yourself.

gl
Old 12-06-2008, 04:02 PM

my clutch was changed at 57k miles. at the time, i did not opt for a new flywheel, and had mine resurfaced for ~$40. had i done it all over, i would've replaced the flywheel. i feel a slightly rougher/weaker idle now, and i think it may be due to the flywheel (or maybe i'm being paranoid). anyway, i recommend testing for slip as some members have posted. another way to test is to get on the highway, and floor it in 6th gear. if rpms climb and you're not accelerating, then you're slipping. i think you'll find that your clutch is fine, since you have such low mileage. with regard to engagement point, it's adjustable (to some degree). if you do a search on adjusting clutch engagement point, i think you'll find a 'how-to' on it.