S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New flywheel necesary when doing a clutch change?

Old 12-01-2008, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New flywheel necesary when doing a clutch change?

Hey Fellas, I need some advice. I'm plannng to get my clutch changed in the next few months. The plan was for me to get the Hardtopguy's clutch package which consists of a ACT PP/OEM clutch. I've heard from people that it's not a bad idea to get the flywheel changed out as well.

I have an 20003 NFR with about 23k miles. If I do change the flywheel, I would like to get another OEM unit. But I'm just curious about whether or not its necessary since I don't have that many miles on my car. I realize that it's hard to tell the exact condition of the flywheel on my car without taking it off. Either way I plan to place an order with HTG by midnight to get in on his sale. Thanks for any advice that you can provide.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Only necessary if the FW is badly burned or scarred. It could be resurfaced but you may well enjoy driving with a lighter FW. I am pleased with the Toda in my car.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:54 PM

Is a resurface of the old OEM flywheel really necessary? Not trying to be cheap, but just wondering since I have fairly low mileage. How much does a resurface cost on average? THanks
Old 12-01-2008, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the competition lightweight flywheel, I kinda wish went with the ultralight. I have a stage 2 clutch
Old 12-02-2008, 02:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As my friend cdelena mentioned, it is only necessary to resurface the flywheel if it is glazed or burned. This can only be determined by inspection. If you need to change the clutch at 23k miles, I suspect that you have been particularly hard on it and will likely need to have the flywheel resurfaced. I paid $40 to re-surface a Miata flywheel at a local transmission specialty shop.

If you want to change to a lightweight flywheel, now is the time to do it. I have one on my Miata and like the improved responsiveness of the engine, but that's a dedicated track/autocross car. For the street, I prefer the easier to modulate OEM flywheel on my S2000.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffguynyc,Dec 1 2008, 10:54 PM
Is a resurface of the old OEM flywheel really necessary? Not trying to be cheap, but just wondering since I have fairly low mileage. How much does a resurface cost on average? THanks
Depends upon the damage to the surface. It may just need a sanding but many shops only have two options, replace or leave.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clutch change at 23k....yea, something is probably wrong with flywheel... If you are just "upgrading" your clutch to "upgrade" and it is still perfectly fine, then most likely, your flywheel is ok.

I replaced my clutch for the first time at ~70-73k, and flywheel was still good.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by DFWs2k,Dec 2 2008, 10:39 AM
Clutch change at 23k....yea, something is probably wrong with flywheel... If you are just "upgrading" your clutch to "upgrade" and it is still perfectly fine, then most likely, your flywheel is ok.

I replaced my clutch for the first time at ~70-73k, and flywheel was still good.
I think I may just have to get a second opinion on whether or not I really need to even get a clutch change. I thought my car drove ok, but when I brought my car to the mechanic to get an alignment, the guy said the clutch engagement point seemed extremely high. Now the mechanic is a good buddy of mine and I'm positive that he wasn't trying to scam me. Perhaps he just hasn't worked on that many s2ks?

My car currently has just over 23k miles. When I purchased it from a friend over a year ago, the odometer only read 14k. It's pretty damn hard not to drive this car aggressively once in a while. When I say aggressive I don't mean on the track or attempting to drift. Just the occasional run on the highway. My S isn't my primary car so I was a bit surprised to hear that my clutch maybe worn. The buddy I bought the S from babied the car even more than I do.

Still not sure what to do. Last thing I want to just to get a new clutch for the hell of it. Either way, I've heard nothing but good things about Hardtopguy's clutch package so I'm sure I can't go wrong.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:11 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

well, i changed my clutch and PP at 100K and left my flywheel in there as is.

i'm at 108K.

i believe the helm's manual states that it does not recommend resurfacing the flywheel.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:39 AM

You should resurface the flywheel or it can possibly ruin your new clutch. I just wouldn't risk it and will do it right the first time. You can either resurface it ($20 at a machine shop) or buy a new one. If you don't resurface/replace your flywheel then you risk slipping the clutch and burning it out causing you to have to replace your clutch again which will cost you more $$ in the long run. Do it right the first time and have piece of mind.

Quick Reply: New flywheel necesary when doing a clutch change?