S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New Engine / Break in???

Old 06-20-2004, 10:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by bullet1123
I was planning on using an additive called Mr.Moly (this is supposed to be the same chemical hoda adds at the factory to aid in the break in....
I was the one who recommended Mr. Moly, but now a better choice has been found: Valvoline MaxLife Engine Protector - it is an additive with nearly thre exact chemistry as Honda's break-in oil. It is available at Pep Boys and other Valvoline carriers.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

RR,

A question regarding the use of Moly (Valvoline MaxLife engine protector ... etc.):
One of the other posts mentioned there was little or no benefit to using a moly additive after the initial break-in. I'm not sure I agree with that.
Do you use a moly additive on a regular basis and do you feel there's a benefit for doing so after the break-in period?
Old 06-21-2004, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I do not plan to use any moly additives after break-in; actually, I am not even a molyphile. There are certain rather esoteric technical reasons for my opinion, including high temperature reactivity. I think newer compounds can provide all the protection of moly with no downsides. LE uses no moly at all, and the discussion i had with one of the tribs there sounded like I was talking to myself, in that we agreed on what is and what is not optimum in a modern engine oil. I think LE has it right, I am having some second thoughts about Red Line (especially its up and down UOA's) the rest are fine: Amsoil, Mobil, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Motorcraft, etc.

I only used the moly because Honda seemed to think it mattered, and the carbon fiber cylinder coating is unknown territory to me, so I put my trust in their engineers to know what was needed to seat the engine properly. Since Honda's motor oil is not moly high, they apparently concur that it is a non-issue after break-in.

I hope this helps, and perhaps we can even put it to rest (until the next newbie posts he inevitable question). C'est la vie.