S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New to DIY. I have no tools. Is this a good list?

Old 01-21-2014, 07:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New to DIY. I have no tools. Is this a good list?

I just bought a used S2000 and with the help of some of the DIYs on this site I feel confident I'll be able to do simple maintenance like oil, differential, clutch, and brake fluids, in addition to brake pads and rotors.

I have no tools at all, so I've put together a list on Amazon based off the DIY guides and this topic from the blog. Here's my tool wish list, does it look like I'm missing anything?
Old 01-21-2014, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The list is comprehensive enough but I would suggest buying a mechanic's set of tools like a Craftsman's 140 pc. set or something similar. Also you may want to check out Harbor Freight as well. I have their aluminum jack and jack stands and they are great. I've had no problems since I purchased them about 2-3 years ago. I also suggest that reach out to other local S2000 owners to get some experience from them. I was in the same boat as you and I had no idea how to work on cars before I met some of the local S2000 owners. I have learned so much from them. It's a great way to make friends and gain valuable information. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:40 AM

I would recommend a jack that will fit under the s2000. I know my floor jack is way too tall and I have to first use the side jack to get it up a little to fit the floor jack under it.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second the mechanics tool set. You can wait til Sears is having a sale and snag one up for pretty cheap.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What size jack do I need to fit under the S2000?

What advantage is there to buying a 100+ piece kit? Seems like I'll end up with a lot of inch sockets and other things I don't need.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Props to you on your attitude! Take your time, learn from mistakes, and you'll be fine.

I also recommend Harbor freight jacks and jack stands. They have worked great for me. The jack I picked up was really cheap, looked and operates very well, and has a nice low point that will fit under my lowered s2000 for probably 1/3 the price of a sears performance jack.

Personally, I would get a Craftsman 140pc kit to start with and just buy parts as you need them. I never went out and bought all my parts in one shot. I just bought minimums and made runs to Autozone to get what I needed when I needed it. Spaces out the money you spend as well over several months/years rather then one day.

One place I started going for parts is Lowes. I am a big fan of their Kobalt tools. Affordable and well made IMO.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:08 AM

A good set of low profile ramps will help a bunch

http://www.amazon.com/Race-Ramps-RR-...file+car+ramps
Old 01-21-2014, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other needs:

PDF S2000 service manual floating somewhere on the net....
Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 AM

Just my opinion, but I've found it makes more sense to buy what you need for a particular job, and slowly grow your tool collection. With Amazon Prime it's easy to get stuff quickly and cheaply as you need it. Plus it forces you to plan out each job before you do it, which is always good.

Some things like wrench sets, socket sets, etc... might be ok to buy all at once since the savings is considerable for buying in bulk. But I have found that if I just buy as needed, for each job, I end up with exactly what I need. Even if in the long term I pay a little more, the initial cost is less, which I prefer since money has time-dependent value, too.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:20 AM

I would recommend the DeWalt 204 piece mechanics tool set, it is higher quality than the craftsman and has a no questions asked lifetime warranty (You don't even have to send the old part in). I got it at sears on sale for $130, if you wait it goes below 150 on sale at sears.com quite often.

I bought this car in June 2013 having done nothing but an oil change. By the end of the summer I had done almost every OEM DIY on this forum (convertible top replacement, valve retainer/banjo bolt, etc). So if you have newbie questions you are scared to ask feel free to PM me because I was just there.

Good luck

Quick Reply: New to DIY. I have no tools. Is this a good list?