S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

NEW DIY: Cooling plate installation

Old 01-08-2011, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my cooling plate on Friday and has a friend at work put it on a milling machine using a small carbide endmill to make a provision to allow for my alarm hood-pin. Just followed Saki's instructions to a "T" and, other than having to slightly enlarge one of the screw holes (end on on driver's side) with a small bastard file, it went on very easy. The latch does not hit the plate and the hood can be dropped from about 4 inches and it latches. I can't see any contact points at this time. so all is good

Thanks Saki for a great write up!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just want to make sure, that I do have to remove the stock air guide? I bought a Mishimoto diversion plate that I am going to be installing and I was looking under the hood last night to see how I was going to do this. I noticed that that the stock air guide would probably interfere with the plate. I take it from this thread that I should indeed remove it.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:53 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by NickBeam13
Hey make sure you guys take the stock air guide plate off.
No, DON'T take that plate off. It shunts air between the radiator and intake.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Reckon
Just want to make sure, that I do have to remove the stock air guide? I bought a Mishimoto diversion plate that I am going to be installing and I was looking under the hood last night to see how I was going to do this. I noticed that that the stock air guide would probably interfere with the plate. I take it from this thread that I should indeed remove it.

Thanks!
You should leave the stock piece in place, it contributes to immediate pressure ahead of the radiator.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone I know including myself removed the OEM air guide. When you put a cooling panel on, it's just doing the same thing as the OEM one was.. Also thats why aftermarket cooling plates have different designs and scoops to direct the air where you want it to go.

That is always what I thought, and it would seem worthless to run an aftermarket cooling panel if you leave the OEM one in place. I could be wrong, but after tons of research that's what conclusion I came down to.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:31 PM

So there are conflicting views on the OEM air guide? Saki says leave it, suzuka-blue says take it out .

What it the difference between a cooling plate and a diversion plate? I can't really see a difference what so ever based on images. I'll presume they are the same thing, just different terms for it.

So, what do I do - leave it or take it out?
Old 03-02-2011, 12:40 PM

Haha idk man, like I said I could be wrong, but it just seems like aftermarket cooling panels would be worthless if you kept the OEM guide in place. The cooling panels still block off that area so the air is forced through the radiator, and also have the different kind of scoops so you can get more air into your intake and such. If you leave the OEM one in not much air is going to be able to go into your intake anymore it seems like. I've ran mine with 3 different cooling plates now with the OEM guide taken out with no issues at all. I know I wouldnt run without a guide or a cooling panel, but I think if you have 1 or the other it will be fine. Just my opinion. Maybe Saki will share his thoughts about it with us as well.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:44 PM

Understand. You have a FIPK too right? (I think I remember seeing that combination in some pics you have posted up).

Still, is there a difference between a cooling plate and diversion plate? Mishimoto says: "Honda S2000 Air Diversion Plate 2000-2009 -
The Mishimoto Honda S2000 Air Diversion Plate is not only intended to enhance the aesthetic appeal of your engine, but will incomparably reduce your radiator’s coolant temperature." Sounds like a cooling plate to me.

Anyways, will be installing soon, so I am trying to figure out the right approach. I wonder what the installation instructions will say?
Old 03-02-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by suzuka-blue-s2k
Everyone I know including myself removed the OEM air guide. When you put a cooling panel on, it's just doing the same thing as the OEM one was.. Also thats why aftermarket cooling plates have different designs and scoops to direct the air where you want it to go.

That is always what I thought, and it would seem worthless to run an aftermarket cooling panel if you leave the OEM one in place. I could be wrong, but after tons of research that's what conclusion I came down to.
They do different things, and they are in different - if close - places. If you removed yours, your car won't blow up, but you now lost the immediate high pressure divide ahead of the radiator - aftermarket is not as good. Just because "everyone you know" did it doesn't mean it was the correct thing to do - this isn't the first time bad ideas have gotten a popular following around here. I also don't think you understand what the aftermarket cooling plates really do, or how they differ from that stock piece. Lots of people think well, if I have an aftermarket, I don't need the original, but really, I think you should keep the original since it is the best design. Go aftermarket for looks since none will work as well.

I you have it in, keep it. Its useful and not replaced by an aftermarket piece that is a different location - if it was, it would be in the same place.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:05 PM

Rekon, I actually have the PRM intake now with a flat APR cooling panel. I sold the FIPK and AUT plate a while back haha. My OEM has been out for a long time so i'll just keep it out. It's a PITA to remove and install.

Thanks for the response Saki. I know I obviously don't know then, but what would the difference be between an aftermarket cooling panel and the OEM guide? I know you just said it will loose immediate high pressure divide ahead of the radiator without the OEM guide, but wouldnt an aftermarket plate perform the same function even though it's slightly above where the OEM one is? I guess i'm just having a hard time understanding how they are really different. I'm just wanting to learn since this is new news to me.

Quick Reply: NEW DIY: Cooling plate installation