S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

new concepts in braking?

Old 03-27-2001, 08:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

picked up this article from http://www.nsxsc.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000023.html

News:

Saleen S7 supercar to use NewTech's High-Performance Brake System

DETROIT, Mar 06, 2001 (Canada NewsWire via COMTEX) -- NewTech Group International today announced that its revolutionary new full-contact brake system will be installed as original equipment on the 2002 Saleen S7 supercar, making Saleen, Inc. the brake company's first OE customer. The system will also be available as an option on the high-performance 2002 special edition Saleen Mustangs (S281 and SR). The announcement was made at the 2001 SAE World Congress in Detroit.
The full-contact brake system, fully developed by NewTech and its French affiliates, is composed of sensors and an Intelligent Braking System (IBS) and a radically different single, circular pad that distributes pressure over the full 360-degree surface of the disc. Compared to conventional brakes that use pads to apply pressure to only a small percentage of the disc, the NewTech brake is much higher performing, virtually fade-free, costs less to install and produce and is much more durable. NewTech's technology can even enable the automotive industry to offer lifetime warranties on the product.

Under the agreement, Saleen will handle the certification process by conducting an extensive road-testing program. NewTech, meanwhile, will continue to develop its braking system to meet the needs of its customers, to whom it sells the system under licensing agreement.

The 200+ mph Saleen S7 is the first true American supercar, a category that includes Ferrari and Lamborghini models. Saleen expects to build 400 S7 vehicles over the next four years.

More than 1,000 Saleen Mustangs were sold in 2000. The California-based manufacturer is aiming to boost its 2001 sales by 20%.

ABOUT NEWTECH:

NewTech Group International is an independent Quebec-based company offering a full range of research and development, design and full-contact brakes to the automotive and heavy truck industries. NewTech's mission is to develop the best brake system in the world.

To this end, the company has hired 50 of the top researchers and engineers from Europe, Asia and North America. Including technicians, communication personnel and administrators, NewTech employs about 120 full- time staff.

ABOUT SALEEN, INC.:

Saleen, Inc. was founded by Steve Saleen in 1983. The company, which recently marked its 18th year of operation, specializes in designing and producing high-performance sports cars. Saleen is the largest American manufacturer of speciality cars. The company's goal is to build the highest- performing cars, at the most competitive price, in its category.

The Saleen partnership is the first automobile original equipment supply contract that NewTech has signed with a car manufacturer, and second with a vehicle manufacturer. Four months ago, NewTech signed a deal to supply Renault's truck division with a brake system adapted to its Class 8 heavy-duty vehicles.

CONTACT: For further information: Jacques Rancourt, Marketing Communications Director, NewTech Group International, (450) 434-6432, Cell. (514) 592-1782, http://www.newtech-ibs.com Jack Gerken, Public Relations Director, Saleen, Inc., (949) 597-4900, Fax: (949) 597-3801, http://www.saleen.com

News release via Canada NewsWire, Montreal 514-878-2520

Copyright
Old 03-27-2001, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey-

I think I saw the NewTech Porsche race in the Motorola Cup last year- on TV...
Old 03-27-2001, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably a very long time, if ever. AFAIK, this is the same type of braking used in heavy duty aircraft systems, so the concept has been around a while.

However, one must carefully examine the claims of higher performance, cheaper to build, etc. As has been discussed many times, if you can lock your brakes, you have enough braking power. In terms of a lower cost, you still need to actuate the braking system and something has to create pressure on the pad to create friction with the rotor.

I do think that the claims of better fade resistance and longer wear will hold up though. You're going to be able to run less braking pressure for a given level of stopping power which means the pad material wears less. Also, your pad temps, and therefore fluid temps should be lower too.

Personally, I'd expect to see systems like Porsche's cermaic composite system become more commonplace first. These systems will have very long wear cycles and are fade resistant as well without needing any serious system redesign. Just a new rotor, new pad and some insulation on the caliper piston.

UL
Old 03-28-2001, 04:37 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like a pair of flattened out drum brakes
Old 03-28-2001, 07:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RT
[B]Sounds like a pair of flattened out drum brakes
Old 03-30-2001, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think about it, this is really like using a clutch for your brake instead of a rotor/caliper. The concept of having even distribution of braking force and temperature over the entire swept area of the "rotor" sounds great to me. However I think the best possible application can be that larger brakes could be fit inside of already limited space in small wheels.

Clark
Old 04-08-2001, 05:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wonder how the system effects cooling as conventional discs rely on "convection" which is why they are shaped the way they are?
Old 04-08-2001, 05:40 PM

Weight would be my biggest concern.

brad
Old 04-08-2001, 06:26 PM
Former Moderator

UL, You mention that if you can lock the wheels you have enough braking power. This sounds so true when you say it but there is way more to it. I'm just not sure what it all involves. I can lock the wheels in my sisters '90's something tercel and it sure dosesn't stop as fast as my S.
So I guess it's hard to say if it is really an improvement over std. brake systems. as far as stopping distance goes anyway.
Old 04-08-2001, 08:02 PM
wea

Doesn't this look like the new brakes on the Ferrari F12001? I have seen the brakes on TV during the pit changes and they seem to be similar.

Quick Reply: new concepts in braking?