S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New clutch does not dissengage

Old 01-09-2009, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New clutch does not dissengage

Ok guys, I swapped my stock clutch/flywheel for a CM stage 3/Toda flywheel and at the same time did the CDV removal mod. Once everything was bolted up, I bled the clutch until there was no air and when I went to test the car, the clutch did not disengage.

I said, no biggie, I will just adjust the master cylinder rod at the pedal ... I could only turn it about 1/8" of a turn and thats it ... no more adjustment. The car goes into third gear now, but thats it.

Now my question is, is it normal for that rod to be almost all the way in from the factory? My car is an '06 and has never been messed with, never been to the dealer except when new.

Thanks, J
Old 01-09-2009, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you DIY it? are you sure the slave cyl is pushing on the fork properly? When I pulled my slave cyl out to grease the tip, when I reinstalled it, it didnt go in properly -> clutch doesnt even open.

if the fork is on wrong it might not let you disengage the clutch, althogh I dont know why 3rd gear will work for you..
Old 01-09-2009, 05:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think you need to adjust pedal back to where it was and continue to bleed the clutch. gravity bleed it to make sure all is well. i bled mine for awhile to get it right. then i slightly adjusted the pedal to get the pick up back where stock was. look in the book, make sure you dont over adjust the pedal. there should be slight play in the rod, very small amount. if not, its like driving around wiht your foot slightly pressing on the pedal
Old 01-10-2009, 06:35 AM

Ike,

I did it, yes the slave is pushing the fork properly. That was the first thing I checked

Camu, I bled the clutch twice extensively .. On the second time I even opened up a can of ATE blue to make sure I was getting new fluid though. I am going to try and do as you say and bleed the sucker again.

BTW, I bled the system using XVipers write up that someone posted.

My only guess so far is that the marcell (sp?) on the new CM disk is slightly thicker or something, therefore needing slightly more travel from the slave in order to disengage.

Joaquin
Old 01-10-2009, 09:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont know how xviper did his, but the best way to bleed the clutch is the gravity bleed. it works EVERY time. its easiest with two people. good luck!
Old 01-10-2009, 10:07 AM

Can you guys point me to a good thread to do this? I installed an F1 Clutch and the pedal feels terrible. I think the system might have gotten air or the plunger in the slave cyl. isn't right. I would like to know WHAT a gravity bleed is and anything else to help me adjust everything properly. Have not yet played with pedal adjustments.

Thanks!

-Chris
Old 01-10-2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Haulin' S' date='Jan 10 2009, 11:07 AM
Can you guys point me to a good thread to do this? I installed an F1 Clutch and the pedal feels terrible. I think the system might have gotten air or the plunger in the slave cyl. isn't right. I would like to know WHAT a gravity bleed is and anything else to help me adjust everything properly. Have not yet played with pedal adjustments.

Thanks!

-Chris
Found it. Never mind. WOW. My clutch fluid is HORRIBLE! Anyone ever done a silicone fluid conversion to an S2K?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:33 PM

Haulin's,

can you please fwd or post the link to the gravity bleed explanation? I cant seem to find it.

My clutch is still not responding well after trying my own version of gravity bleed ....

I wondering if removing the CDV had in any way changed the engagement point to the point where my clutch pedal has to be readjusted or something.

Thanks,

Joaquin
Old 01-11-2009, 04:45 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

UNBOLT the slave, point the bleeder straight up, and open it. Watch bubbles. No pumping, just gravity.

Trust me

You can pump and bleed this car all day. There's a 90% chance you'll never get the trapped air bubble out till you unbolt it.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:55 PM

Billman,

thanks a lot for the pointer !! I had actually unbolted the slave when trying to gravity bleed it, but was no holding it higher than the hose that leads to it.

I will give it another shot and post back ... hopefully my wife is still up to the task of refilling the reservoir ..

Joaquin

Quick Reply: New clutch does not dissengage