S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New clutch burning smell when under load

Old 08-23-2008, 06:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pfspeeddemon,Aug 22 2008, 09:26 PM
Folks,

Thanks for your posts so far.

Yes, something is not right....and for sure that Honda mechanic isn't telling me everything. Looks like I'll have to take it back to them. I'm reluctant about doing so because they dented the fender when it was in for the clutch job and unfortunately I only noticed it after 3 days that I took it back and so I didn't claim it. I would definitely tell them about it if I had to let them have the car again and most probably we'd have one hell of an argument about it....and then God knows how inclined they would be to find out what's wrong with the clutch....

Blacknot, you say you have the same brand of clutch as I do (i.e. "Competition Clutch"). Do you find this to be a good brand / make. I would appreciate your feedback as nobody has given me feedback about this brand / make when I asked about it in other threads.

Tx,

pfspeeddemon
I did get some deceleration buzz with it. It's ok but the best set up is a stock disk with an upgraded pressure plate such as the competition that you have. I personally would never do a clutch with out resurfacing the flywheel. There is no way in hell the CDV vavle it making your clutch slip under light pressure. It would make it slip under hard redline shifting. Unless which i doubt there is air in the line because the CDV is just a check vavle with a ball and spring. I would recomend to take it out. It's the first thing i did becasue it sucks and makes your clutch slip. It's a 10 minute job ans there are threads on how to do it. You can try and bleed out the line and see if that fixes your problem but i doubt it will because you would have a low pedal if it had air in it. I would say your flywheel isnt clean and has grease on it. As far as your fender goes that doesnt surprise me. I was very carefull and put a ding in my fender leaning on it while doing my clutch job. The shop is probably unhappy you are bringing it back because it's a solid 8 hr job. They didnt do it right in the first place so they need to fix it
Old 08-23-2008, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ what he said. to blacknot.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Blacknot (and you too SCCS2K for chipping in). I will challenge the Honda shop about the state of the flywheel and see if they tell me to bring the car back in. If they do not want to take it apart, I will try to get some written guarantee that if something goes wrong they will make good for it because according to this Honda foreman I am not damaging the clutch because this smell only happens for the short duration that I take the car up the ramp [ in my opinion]

Tx,

pfspeeddemon

Old 08-24-2008, 07:04 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Just a thought but why not get hold of the clutch manufacturers customer service and technical support. You might get some good information there on both the cause and a solution

good luck

fltsfshr
Old 08-24-2008, 07:16 AM

Yes, fltsfshr, tx very much, I have been doing that in parallel. The clutch vendor has been in contact with the manufacturer when I reported the problem to him immediately after the clutch-change. The manufacturers asked about the flywheel's state too. However, they have asked me to give them feedback after the 500mile break-in period which means I now have to tell them that I'm still stuck with the same problem...

Tx,

pfspeeddemon
Old 08-24-2008, 02:07 PM

[QUOTE=pfspeeddemon,Aug 22 2008, 06:00 PM]Yep, I tend to agree with SheDrivesIt's post about the CDV but let's just give the Honda mechanic the benefit of the doubt and say that the flywheel was / is ok. If that is so, what else could it be that is causing this problem ? The clutch does grab while feathering it to creep up the ramp. It is more a question that the S2K has no low down torque and
Old 08-25-2008, 09:53 AM

Denis,

Those "some more revs" are the minimum additional revs which are needed not to let the car judder and then stall when going up the ramp with the competition clucth that I have now installed when compared to how much rpm I used to use with the oem clutch.

This is a new clutch with just 500miles on it, there is no slipping with heavy throttle in high gears.. this burning smell just manifests itself when the car is under load going up the garage ramp in reverse.

And for the sake of repeating myself: "I'm only talking about 5 to 10secs of feathering here after all....and I'm not a beginner: I've been driving manual shifts for 29yrs and I've never burnt a clutch or needed to change a clutch on any of my previous cars. "

Tx,

pfspeeddemon
Old 08-25-2008, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest, "5 to 10 seconds of feathering" is a LONG TIME to engage a clutch. That'll cause the burning clutch smell.

I feel your pain, don't get me wrong. My clutch is a nightmare to use smoothly also, but you're much better engaging quickly and roughly, than to slip it for 10 seconds!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 12:17 PM

Hi SCCS2K ! Sorry for replying one day late but yesterday I was driving around in the "S" rather than writing about it on s2ki.

Don't worry, I genuinely believe that you mean well and I already launch the car "quickly and roughly" (as you say) under normal driving conditions but I just cannot do that when going up the garage ramp because I risk ending up with one or both side mirrors getting sheared off or swiping one or both sides against the narrow doorway to my garage !

My brother has seen me take the car up this ramp and does not accept that this smell is due to driver clutch slippage on such a short duration. He had also just spoken and pressured the Honda foreman to come up with a solution. This foreman said he would be seeking advice from a honda colleague of his abroad (..don't really know where we're going with this )

Tx

pfspeeddemon
Old 09-07-2008, 06:33 PM

Hi Guys,

Long time no post from me ! Here is the latest:

1) Competition Clutch manufacturers told me to live with the clutch burning smell as it is not a cause for concern ( to a certain extent, they also told me to live with the judder too.) I am not comfortable with what the Competition Clutch manufacturers have told me.

2) The local Honda dealership have given me "take it or leave it" option where they said they would do the clutch job again, fitting a new flywheel (not that it's needed, they said but just to shut my whining about it !) and a complete OEM clutch kit. Under no circumstances will they reinstall the Competition Clutch kit.

I am totally confused as I don't know if to go with (1) or (2) and would appreciate your advice (i.e. if you were in my shoes, what decision would you take ?)

Cheers,

pfspeeddemon

Quick Reply: New clutch burning smell when under load