S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New clutch burning smell when under load

Old 08-22-2008, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New clutch burning smell when under load

Folks,

It's been 6wks and almost 500miles after my new Stage 2 organic clutch kit install and I still keep getting a burning clutch smell when it's under the slightest load even though the clutch is now bedded-in. The clutch I installed is the American brand called "Competition Clutch". The smell is most predominant when I struggle slightly to reverse up the akward garage ramp that I have. Yesterday, I complained about this problem to the local Honda agent's mechanic who did the clutch install. He told me that he had another S2K owner who has this same kind of new clutch burning smell problem when under the slightest load. The local Honda agent's mechanic told me he believes the CDV valve is contributing to this issue.

I have read threads about the CDV. Some say it is the culprit which causes premature clutch wear as it slips the clutch slightly and so they opt to take it out. I just can't understand how Honda would install a device to minimize a problem in one area of the car only to create another one in a different area of the car. Then there are others who disagree and would leave it in place to prevent shock-loading of the diff.

Should I be experiencing this burning clutch smell even on a new clutch (and to add insult to injury, it's a heavy duty organic one) ? Is my new clutch being cooked and if so, what is really causing this problem ? I've only had my S for 3months and I never expected myself to have had to go through a clutch-change (because I bought it unknowingly with an OEM clutch which was on its last legs). I am really confused on what I should do. I would really appreciate your advice on the way forward to resolve this problem.

Tx,

pfspeeddemon

Old 08-22-2008, 01:26 PM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Did you put in a new flywheel or have the old one refaced?

fltsfshr
Old 08-22-2008, 01:51 PM

Honda mechanic insisted that my original flywheel was just fine and did not need replacing or refacing.

Tx,

pfspeeddemon

Old 08-22-2008, 02:13 PM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

i was taught you should always reface it if you're not replacing it. I don't know about your delay valve or how many miles you had on your old clutch, maybe billman or slows2k will jump in here and tell me I'm wrong but that's my opinion.

fltsfshr
Old 08-22-2008, 02:28 PM

Don't worry, you mean well and what you suggested is the correct way of doing things but the Honda mechanic said there was no need to. According to him all it needed was light rub-down with fine-grit sand-paper. Unfortunately, due to work commitments, I could not be present while they were doing the clutch job to see the condition of the flywheel myself amongst other things too.

Tx,

pfspeeddemon
Old 08-22-2008, 04:05 PM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

I'm no expert but I did stay at a State Park cottage last weekend.

I tend to side with flts. I don't think the CDV would come in to play when you are feathering your clutch to creep up the garage ramp. The CDV comes in to play when you drop the clutch or when you speed shift.

Many people, when they remove the CDV, find that the clutch still slips when speed shifting because the flywheel on the AP2 is heavy and the engine simply does not have enough time to slow down before they reengage the clutch. If the engine does not slow down to near the transmission speed they find the clutch still slips. The solution to that is a lighter flywheel and a slower clutching and shifting action.

Again, however, that should not come in to play when feathering the clutch to creep up the ramp in reverse. It is far more likely to be that the flywheel surface is uneven or too rough and you simply don't have enough surface to allow the clutch to grab.

I'll leave it to the experts on whether to call BS on my analysis though.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:00 PM

Yep, I tend to agree with SheDrivesIt's post about the CDV but let's just give the Honda mechanic the benefit of the doubt and say that the flywheel was / is ok. If that is so, what else could it be that is causing this problem ? The clutch does grab while feathering it to creep up the ramp. It is more a question that the S2K has no low down torque and does need some more revs to get up the ramp. In fact, it is quite easy to stall it if I don't don't use these some more revs....but surely this does not warrant this burning smell....I'm only talking about 5 to 10secs of feathering here after all....and I'm not a beginner: I've been driving manual shifts for 29yrs and I've never burnt a clutch or needed to change a clutch on any of my previous cars. [Heck, this is the first time I've ever smelt what a burning / slipping clutch smells like !]

Tx,

pfspeeddemon
Old 08-22-2008, 06:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same clutch and have have done many clutch jobs. Something isnt right. It shouldnt be slipping. I dont know if grease got slung on the flywheel but i would take it back
Old 08-22-2008, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll jump in and guess flywheel too.

Might also explain why he's had that happen to other cars he's done. He probably didn't touch the flywheel on those either.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:26 PM

Folks,

Thanks for your posts so far.

Yes, something is not right....and for sure that Honda mechanic isn't telling me everything. Looks like I'll have to take it back to them. I'm reluctant about doing so because they dented the fender when it was in for the clutch job and unfortunately I only noticed it after 3 days that I took it back and so I didn't claim it. I would definitely tell them about it if I had to let them have the car again and most probably we'd have one hell of an argument about it....and then God knows how inclined they would be to find out what's wrong with the clutch....

Blacknot, you say you have the same brand of clutch as I do (i.e. "Competition Clutch"). Do you find this to be a good brand / make. I would appreciate your feedback as nobody has given me feedback about this brand / make when I asked about it in other threads.

Tx,

pfspeeddemon

Quick Reply: New clutch burning smell when under load