S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New Clutch?

Old 09-15-2015, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Get the clutch piecemeal if you have to, as long as you ONLY buy genuine Honda parts. The most expensive thing is the pressure plate, resurfacing the flywheel should be possible with your mileage.

You can use hondapartsnow.com hondaautomotiveparts.com hondapartsnetwork.com those have the best prices for everything. All in, you're looking at around $580-750 in parts(the flywheel is pretty expensive brand new) plus around $450-600 for labor, or if you're a bit of a masochist, you can spend $350 in decent tools and do it all yourself. Assuming you have no jack, jack stands, wrenches and sockets, extensions, universal joints, a tq wrench that can read up to 150ft lbs, a pry bar, a hammer, Honda ultra high temp urea grease, allen sockets, and a vice grip. If you have most of these things then obviously your tools cost will be lower.

If you take it to Honda or a regular shop there's no guarantee they won't eff up the knock sensor, as it's so easy to bust up.

Plus the good thing about having tools is, that you can use them again to fix other stuff on the car, or use them to do maintenance on it.
I did find a highly rated shop that will do the clutch swap. Their quote was $1,600. They also said they would replace the clutch if I brought in the part, instead of them ordering it. (their cost for the clutch was $1000.)

Any harm in me ordering the part and having them doing the install? Also, should I forgo ordering a new flywheel since mine might only need resurfaced?

Thanks again.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jdl06osu
I did find a highly rated shop that will do the clutch swap. Their quote was $1,600. They also said they would replace the clutch if I brought in the part, instead of them ordering it. (their cost for the clutch was $1000.)

Any harm in me ordering the part and having them doing the install? Also, should I forgo ordering a new flywheel since mine might only need resurfaced?

Thanks again.
Are you saying that their quote was $1600 for labor + $1000 for parts, or just $1600 if you provide the parts?
Old 09-15-2015, 10:56 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

$1,600 just for labor is a lot, I charge ~$1,300 out the door(sometimes a little more depending on the parts they want), that's labor plus parts, and that's with me replacing the rear main seal, the flywheel, and the release bearing guide sleeve, and using all OEM parts. A lot of shops, if you give them parts to install, they won't give you any warranty, so if something happens you'll be on the hook for labor again, present company included. Not that they won't do it, it's just a lot of shops make a bit of extra money off parts, because getting the parts and all that is a service onto itself.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:58 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Good lord. $1600. Solid gold wrenches.

Very good shops in this area (chicago burbs) charge between $300-500.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by dwight
Originally Posted by jdl06osu' timestamp='1442323237' post='23747369

Thanks again.
Are you saying that their quote was $1600 for labor + $1000 for parts, or just $1600 if you provide the parts?
No. Sorry if that was confusing.
Parts: $1000
Labor: $600
Old 09-17-2015, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
$1,600 just for labor is a lot, I charge ~$1,300 out the door(sometimes a little more depending on the parts they want), that's labor plus parts, and that's with me replacing the rear main seal, the flywheel, and the release bearing guide sleeve, and using all OEM parts. A lot of shops, if you give them parts to install, they won't give you any warranty, so if something happens you'll be on the hook for labor again, present company included. Not that they won't do it, it's just a lot of shops make a bit of extra money off parts, because getting the parts and all that is a service onto itself.
Looking to order the parts. Too difficult a pill to swallow paying $1000 for parts (that's without a new flywheel, too.)

That being said, you think I'd be good to not order a new flywheel?
Old 09-17-2015, 09:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdl06osu
Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101' timestamp='1442343379' post='23747747
Looking to order the parts. Too difficult a pill to swallow paying $1000 for parts (that's without a new flywheel, too.)

The only way to be certain is to get the old one off of the motor and measure it against the service limits. That said, it's pretty unlikely that it couldn't be resurfaced, which is the MINIMUM that should be done. Slapping a new clutch on the old flywheel with no prep is, IMO, a bad idea. Too much cost in getting to that point to skip out on an extra $25-50 worth of work. Just make sure your shop has proof it was resuraced - pics or receipt from their external machine shop if not performed in house.

Little niggles like this are the reason the only person that wrenches on my car is me. Too many unscrupulous shops out there that will cut corners to make a buck.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Habitforming
Originally Posted by jdl06osu' timestamp='1442508069' post='23749866
[quote name='Slowcrash_101' timestamp='1442343379' post='23747747']

The only way to be certain is to get the old one off of the motor and measure it against the service limits. That said, it's pretty unlikely that it couldn't be resurfaced, which is the MINIMUM that should be done. Slapping a new clutch on the old flywheel with no prep is, IMO, a bad idea. Too much cost in getting to that point to skip out on an extra $25-50 worth of work. Just make sure your shop has proof it was resuraced - pics or receipt from their external machine shop if not performed in house.

Little niggles like this are the reason the only person that wrenches on my car is me. Too many unscrupulous shops out there that will cut corners to make a buck.
[/quote]

I agree with ya. I wish I had the mechanical know-how and tools to do it myself. I wont have the clutch installed without at least resurfacing the flywheel.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts

I would see if you can find a AP1 flywheel, its lighter(but not to light) and makes the car funner to drive. You can find them for not much money. I mean you got it all apart, so why not add a lighter flywheel? I plan to do this with my '06 when my clutch goes bad(have 117k miles on it) but not until then.

ROD
Old 09-17-2015, 11:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rrounds
I would see if you can find a AP1 flywheel, its lighter(but not to light) and makes the car funner to drive. You can find them for not much money. I mean you got it all apart, so why not add a lighter flywheel? I plan to do this with my '06 when my clutch goes bad(have 117k miles on it) but not until then.

ROD
Agreed. I went with an even lighter Comptech unit and it makes such a huge improvement, but the ap1 flywheel is plenty light and much cheaper than any of the light aftermarket options.

Quick Reply: New Clutch?