S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New Clutch?

Old 09-02-2015, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Clutch?

Hello all

I've had my 2007 S2000 for 4 years now. About 4-5 weeks ago, I noticed the clutch pedal sticking at the top, i.e., there was a catch, or notch feel in the pedal before being pushed to the floor. I didn't think anything of it at the time because it was about to go in the shop for body work and the clutch was acting normal. (Something fell on the fender when it was in my in-laws garage, grrrrrr...) Anyways, fast forward to last weekend, driving on the highway, no issues...then I start to feel some slipping in the clutch. Around 5-6k RPM, it would slip. I was on my way out of town, so I parked it my parents and borrowed their car for the weekend. When I returned, the slipping started sooner, around 3-4k RPM. Now its to the point where any type of "spirited" acceleration results in slipping and just me revving my ass off. Oh, and that notch/catch in the pedal is now awful. I have to really put some weight in it to get it to move.

The odd thing to me is that normal starts from a standstill are absolutely fine, and changing gears at lower revs results in no issues as well. I had a clutch go in high school on a different car and getting that from a stop to 10mph was quite the experience, so this is very new to me.

Thus, does this sound like I need to have the clutch assembly replaced entirely? Could it possibly be the master/slave cylinders? I haven't really noticed any leaking fluids. The car has 65,xxx miles, so I'm a little surprised.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Sounds like the disc is worn. Best to replace before exposed rivets, on the disc, damage the flywheel.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Classic symptoms of a worn clutch. Get a new set. Make sure you use OEM HONDA Disc and bearings (throw-out & pilot).
Old 09-04-2015, 04:19 AM

I had the exact same problem at it turned out to be fault slave cylidner.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:19 AM

I had the exact same problem at it turned out to be fault slave cylidner.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ Once the clutch is engaged (e.g. when you're driving, foot off clutch pedal) the master/slave cylinders are not even in the equation.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:36 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SH
^ Once the clutch is engaged (e.g. when you're driving, foot off clutch pedal) the master/slave cylinders are not even in the equation.
Not if freeplay is adjusted incorrectly
Old 09-06-2015, 01:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm having exact same issue.

My master/slave cylinder aren't leaking.

I'm going to replace clutch.

Did you smell clutch burning constantly?
Old 09-08-2015, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by akesh45
I'm having exact same issue.

My master/slave cylinder aren't leaking.

I'm going to replace clutch.

Did you smell clutch burning constantly?
What are going getting for your clutch? I got 2 quotes, one from Honda, and one from a regular shop, and they are saying $1800 for a new clutch, resurfacing the fly wheel, and labor.

Seems like a lot to me.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:54 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Get the clutch piecemeal if you have to, as long as you ONLY buy genuine Honda parts. The most expensive thing is the pressure plate, resurfacing the flywheel should be possible with your mileage.

You can use hondapartsnow.com hondaautomotiveparts.com hondapartsnetwork.com those have the best prices for everything. All in, you're looking at around $580-750 in parts(the flywheel is pretty expensive brand new) plus around $450-600 for labor, or if you're a bit of a masochist, you can spend $350 in decent tools and do it all yourself. Assuming you have no jack, jack stands, wrenches and sockets, extensions, universal joints, a tq wrench that can read up to 150ft lbs, a pry bar, a hammer, Honda ultra high temp urea grease, allen sockets, and a vice grip. If you have most of these things then obviously your tools cost will be lower.

If you take it to Honda or a regular shop there's no guarantee they won't eff up the knock sensor, as it's so easy to bust up.

Plus the good thing about having tools is, that you can use them again to fix other stuff on the car, or use them to do maintenance on it.

Quick Reply: New Clutch?