S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New Car Brakes Scored?

Old 03-29-2007, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are these rust rings on your rear rotors or your front rotors? I see this commonly on rear rotors of various different cars. Before you take it in to the dealer and insist that they replace new parts try hitting the brakes hard a few times. Your car has enough mileage on it now that you can bed the brakes in pretty hard without worrying about harming anything, the brake system on the S2000 is pretty robust anyways. I'd be willing to bet that a few hard stops would clear up your rust problem.

A pic would make this a whole lot easier.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:17 PM

Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestions and comments.

I think the problem may be getting better with more use of the brakes.

I have been light on them, but using them lightly for longer periods of time

gliding to a stop. The rotors (fronts & rears) seem to be clearing up some but still

have rust in the micro valley's of the disc groves.

The next time out I'll try 90crvtec's suggestion and heat the brakes up a bit

and see if I can smooth them out. The S is sitting nex to my wifes lexus and her

brakes are polished looking & smooth as glass. Hopefully, the S will

grind itself smooth and seat the brakes after a long 6 month outdoor nap.

The brakes seem to be working OK and they are not making any bad/sad noises.

I'll try to get photos soon, but I'm no expert at posting photos.

thanks,

Jeff
Old 03-29-2007, 05:40 PM

1) they WILL give you your old rotors back if you ask for them. you paid for them when you bought the car. they belong to you before, during and after the brake job is done. if they refuse to return your old parts, that means they either didnt replace them or the garbage man already took them. just tell the service writer you want to see your old rotors when they're done before they begin service.

2)if the rust rings you speak of are receeding, the problem is probably not as bad as i originally had in mind. in my experience, heavy rust on rotors will carve a groove out in the pads rather then the friction material cleaning up the minor rust.

3)if the heavy rust has already cut a groove in your pads, i recomend you replace the pads along with the new rotors. replacing heavily rusted rotors and reusing the grooved pads will only invite the problem to return.
the grooves in the pads will leave an open gap between rotor and pads where the brake pads dont get the chance to sweep clean the flash rust that form overnight.

4)if you feel that this problem is too much of a bother, take the vehicle back to the dealer. talk to the SALEMAN that sold you the car. tell him that records show the S sitting on their lot for an extended period of time allowing enough rust to build up causing vibration when you apply the brakes. chances are, they will service the brakes accordingly under warranty.

what i give you is only advise. it is up to you wether or not you take it or not. *im only saying this to cover my ass*
Old 03-31-2007, 06:35 AM

Exclamation

Jeggy,

thanks, for the advise, I will use it if the rust/grove problem doesn't not get better.

Don't worry about covering your ass, I'm not going to sue for friendly and helpful

advise received on a car forum.

thanks,

Jeff