S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New Brake Pads?

Old 03-23-2009, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down New Brake Pads?

I'm currently experiencing squeaking in the front when applying the brakes but it seems to only happen during the first few minutes of driving the car then goes away I guess when the car has warmed up. Is this an indicator that the brake pads are worn out since I know the oem pads squeal when its time to be replaced, and is it normal for it to squeal at cold temperatures and disappear when warm? If indeed the brake pads are worn out, which pads should I go with: oem or other, considering that it is only street driven and not intended for track use. Input on this would greatly be appreciated
Old 03-24-2009, 07:41 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by toniotran,Mar 24 2009, 02:52 AM
I'm currently experiencing squeaking in the front when applying the brakes but it seems to only happen during the first few minutes of driving the car then goes away I guess when the car has warmed up. Is this an indicator that the brake pads are worn out since I know the oem pads squeal when its time to be replaced, and is it normal for it to squeal at cold temperatures and disappear when warm? If indeed the brake pads are worn out, which pads should I go with: oem or other, considering that it is only street driven and not intended for track use. Input on this would greatly be appreciated
No, the OEM pads will squeal because they have a little metal tab that comes into contact with the brake disk onece the pad material is worn down enough. If that were your case, it'd squeal EVERY time you hit the brakes. It's rather easy to visually inspect your brakes, although you might have to rotate the wheels a bit to get a clear view. Just check them out and decide from there. (Your squeal is possibly from the pads rubbing on their back shims. That's why auto stores sell various kinds of "brake anti-squeal" greases. Although in my experience, such squeals only happen when hot, but not when cold.)

Oh, and OEM pads are very well suited for this car for street use. Get an AP1 set if you want less dusting than an AP2 set.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:31 PM

hmmm...very interesting, the squeal only happens when I apply the brakes so that narrows it down to the brakes, but it only happens at the first drive of my car in the day and then it goes away just after a couple of minutes and its gone all day long. When the brake pads are ready to be replaced as mentioned by Elistan, it only makes sense that the squeal should remain consistent as you apply the brakes but it doesn't, so it has me confused???Thanks for the comment
Old 03-24-2009, 08:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's very common for cold brakes to squeal. Not so common with the OEM compounds, but still not worrisome. Has it been unusually cold where you live lately?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:06 PM

only warm weather for the past couple of weeks.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well it's very easy to visually inspect the brakes. You can get a good look even with the wheel on, and if you can take the wheel off you can see everything. If it all looks good, and it only squeals when the brakes are cold and/or you are just brushing them lightly, I would not worry about it.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:35 AM

Received 212 Likes on 146 Posts

I just replaced my original pads, and they would squeal on light braking, but not moderate/heavy braking. Visually on the car, there was pad left and they weren't down to the wear indicators yet, but off the car, my pads were all cracked through the middle, which may be why I got squeal. Also, the anti-squeal stuff was all worn away.

How long have you had the current pads on the car?
Old 03-25-2009, 09:50 AM

I believe that they have been on for quite some time now but I'll definitely try to have a look, hoping that they too aren't cracked. Thx guys