S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New TO Bearing, now tranny goes?

Old 10-19-2011, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New TO Bearing, now tranny goes?

So here's they story..

My TO bearing was going bad so I found a local shop through a friend that could replace it for a decent price. I'd say for about 2-3 weeks i was driving with the bad TO bearing, going light on the clutch pedal (can be bad, i know). When I finally had the money it blew half way to the shop and had to be towed. The bearing gets replaced a couple days later and all seems well. Then it starts.
About a month later my tranny starts grinding more than a once in a while 3rd gear grind, now in fourth and second. The shifting itself seems less smooth. Now, about two weeks ago I notice it seems like after going over 3-5k rpm my shifter almost pops out of gear, but still stays in gear. All of my gears 1-6 do this. Can I suddenly have bad synchros in all of my gears? My tranny just feels sloppy and shitty, now.

My question is.. Could this shop have used some 2-buck-chuck gear oil that eventually shot my tranny? Don't you typically change the fluid when you drop the tranny? Or could it have been from the bearing blowing and my light clutch shifting (kind of pulling it out of gear)?

Thanks for your help guys
Old 10-19-2011, 11:25 PM

Btw, I changed the tranny fluid today with honda mtf.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:29 PM

When you drop an auto trans, you have to drain the fluid. A manual trans is actually sealed so you don't have to. Could the shop have fscked up your transmission? Sure. It actually sounds like your shift linkage is broken. to drop the transmission, you have to take off the shift knob, shift lever. The shift lever connects to the transmission through a small plastic "ball". If that ball is broken/wasn't put back in, I can see the symptoms you're describing happen.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:38 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Does the clutch pedal feel normal? Did the clutch fluid get low?
Old 10-20-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz
When you drop an auto trans, you have to drain the fluid. A manual trans is actually sealed so you don't have to. Could the shop have fscked up your transmission? Sure. It actually sounds like your shift linkage is broken. to drop the transmission, you have to take off the shift knob, shift lever. The shift lever connects to the transmission through a small plastic "ball". If that ball is broken/wasn't put back in, I can see the symptoms you're describing happen.
Looks like you steered me in the right direction. I looked up the DIY on how to regrease the shifter and what do you know, a broken pivot cover and old grease. I just ordered the plastic pivot, ball seat and some grease for pickup tomorrow from the dealer, so we'll see how it goes.

Originally Posted by Billman250
Does the clutch pedal feel normal? Did the clutch fluid get low?
Yeah, I actually had the fluids changed before the TO was replaced. No bubbles and CMC is in good condition, not leaking or anything.