S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New Ap1 owner. What should I do?

Old 01-29-2014, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ap1 owner. What should I do?

Hello all, I recently purchased a 2002 Ap1 with 179,xxx miles. I am the 5th owner and I don't know much about the history of the vehicle. My question is: Should I change out the valve spring retainers? I figured since it made it to 179,xxx miles it was probrably changed out by one of the previous oweners. Or should I change it out anyways. If I do change it, do I change out the intake and exhaust retainers or just the intake.... Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:33 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

check all retainers and do a valve adjustment. i would update them with the ap2 retainers. they seem to hold up real well. do all the maintenance you can and have a good starting point.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by iamxpL
check all retainers and do a valve adjustment. i would update them with the ap2 retainers. they seem to hold up real well. do all the maintenance you can and have a good starting point.
All the fluids has been changed,serpentine belt replaced,and new spark plugs... Should I replace both intake and exhaust retainers
Old 01-29-2014, 11:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just drive it...
Old 01-29-2014, 11:09 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

on a higher mileage AP1 with that many owners im sure its seen some revs. and from what i read AP1 tend to crack retainers. its a cheap insurance to not having a blown motor. maybe billman can chime in and can explain how to tell if the retainers have already been replaced.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:00 PM

Retainers crack when over revved past 9,000 rpm. While doing valve adjustment, you will be able to check the retainers. Only one side tends to crack (can't recall if exhaust or intake).
If they are ok - no need to replace them, and it isn't cheap either.

Check your rear bearings and axle cups. Does the car shake while accelerating? Any noises from the back?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:19 PM

It is the intake side that usually crack on AP1 S2000's. The retainers usually only crack due to an over-revving of the engine. Not only is it a good idea to upgrade retainers to ap2 (intake side only) to save the engine from a future over-revv, but it also allows you to adjust the valves and give you a general idea of how the car was driven prior to your ownership. The retainers are not generally part of maintenance, as they are not likely to fail if the car was driven correctly. I would be more interested in replacing all fluids, spark plugs, serpentine belt, valve adjustment and inspecting brakes, tires, and retainers (while doing the valve adjustment). Hope all goes well for you and congratulations on your purchase. Welcome to the s2ki family.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by goravens
Retainers crack when over revved past 9,000 rpm. While doing valve adjustment, you will be able to check the retainers. Only one side tends to crack (can't recall if exhaust or intake).
If they are ok - no need to replace them, and it isn't cheap either.

Check your rear bearings and axle cups. Does the car shake while accelerating? Any noises from the back?
The vehicle drives smooth and the axle's was replaced by the previous owners... No noise
from the back that I know of.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi
It is the intake side that usually crack on AP1 S2000's. The retainers usually only crack due to an over-revving of the engine. Not only is it a good idea to upgrade retainers to ap2 (intake side only) to save the engine from a future over-revv, but it also allows you to adjust the valves and give you a general idea of how the car was driven prior to your ownership. The retainers are not generally part of maintenance, as they are not likely to fail if the car was driven correctly. I would be more interested in replacing all fluids, spark plugs, serpentine belt, valve adjustment and inspecting brakes, tires, and retainers (while doing the valve adjustment). Hope all goes well for you and congratulations on your purchase. Welcome to the s2ki family.
I changed out all the fluids, serpentine belt, new brakes, new tires, and spark plugs.... The only thing left is to do a valve adjustment and check the retainers. Is there a way to tell if I have Ap1 or Ap2 retainers?
Old 01-30-2014, 05:18 AM

Have you seen this?

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/569...head-in-place/

Quick Reply: New Ap1 owner. What should I do?