S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Neo, GM syncromesh, Redline...

Old 02-16-2004, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neo, GM syncromesh, Redline...

Which transmission fluid do you like better and why?
Old 02-16-2004, 08:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All these have been discussed at length - see some of my post or search on topic. I do not consider NEO fit for our cars, as its specs are absurdly low in viscosity.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:27 AM
pfb

It really depends so heavily on your usage and the typical ambient temperatures...

Stock Honda fluid works great for a little while, but seems to fall apart when it is older, especially on really hot days at the track.

Red line MTL is a little thin, Red Line MT-90 is a little thick. If you are doing a bunch of track work and the climate is hot, I think MT-90 is a good solution. Mixing MT-90 and MTL 50/50 is an option for street use and occasional track, but the shifting will be stiff when cold.

No experience with Neo...

As mentioned above, a search will give you lots more opinions, some of the threads might also be in racing & competition, can't recall.

GM syncromesh didn't do anything for me, and I likely wouldn't opt to use it again.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've tried many of them.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=182485
Old 02-16-2004, 10:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Redline MT-90 for me here in Texas.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:52 AM

I find Honda MTF to be perfectly acceptable here in VA where the temp varies quite a bit year round (90+ in summer, sub freezing in winter). It's a little notchy in the cold (but if you can show me a manual that isn't when it's 20F out, I'd be surprised), and once it warms up it's great.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by heffergm
I find Honda MTF to be perfectly acceptable here in VA where the temp varies quite a bit year round (90+ in summer, sub freezing in winter). It's a little notchy in the cold (but if you can show me a manual that isn't when it's 20F out, I'd be surprised), and once it warms up it's great.
How much time do you spend on the track in the summer?
Old 02-16-2004, 11:17 PM

I've had the same results, very happy with honda mtf. I know it's time for a change when it gets notchy when cold, I've been running the same tranny fluid for over a year now with many track events and have not grinded any gears.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:35 PM

its perfect for a daily driver with few track sessions. i plan on changing the fluid out once a year. honda mtf feels much better when COLD than HOT, it seems the opposite is true for other fluids for some reason.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:20 PM
Former Sponsor

I think the important thing is that some trannys like some fluids more than others. For my tranny, Honda MTF was shit. Of the 5 fluids I tried, it was the worst by far on the street or track. The only way I could go a single day without grinding into a gear was to not drive. Urine might have worked better.

Quick Reply: Neo, GM syncromesh, Redline...