S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Needs new clutch etc help me pick plz!

Old 02-06-2012, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Needs new clutch etc help me pick plz!

My car has been relegated to track duty only for a few years now. I replaced the clutch with OEM in 2008 at the time I installed a light-weight flywheel.

A few months later I installed a supercharger on a whim and well that turned into an unfortunate now 3 years of slipping clutch.... Only in 5th gear and usually only after about 20 minutes on track.

Anyways, this season it is time to swap that clutch out again and I'm looking for some opinions and options.

I'd like something that can handle the power of the supercharger (vortech kit stock 2.0L otherwise stock). I'll generally run 30-45 straight on the track as well as some auto-x.

I'd like it to be able to not overheat etc and I don't want it to explode .

Should I bother with a lightened flywheel again? 5lbs or whatever the difference is, isn't going to kill me, but it does help in braking I was thinking as you can "coast" less.

Any suggestions on pressure plates and disks? 6 puck, 4 puck? full disk? No street driving so I don't care too much about ease of driving, although I do drive it onto a trailer so I do need to be able to somewhat modulate it.

Would like to do this for about $1000 or less if possible but I don't want junk so I'll pay more if I have to.

Local dealer says they can get Exedy (OEM replacement) Competition Clutch and ACT. I'm thinking ACT might be my best choice, any help on which kit to get would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2012, 03:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can have my comp clutch disk for 100 bucks has 50 miles on it I hated it way to harsh for DD but would be perfect for you just hunt down a PP you like
Old 02-07-2012, 09:19 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

ACT pressure plate.
OEM disc and bearings (I would avoid any disc but stock. no act, no exedy, nothing. get a stock disc from honda)
Your choice of stock flywheel or any chromoly steel flywheel.

Done deal, no clutch buzz, will handle 500hp. totally driveable.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Stay away from pucks style clutches at all cost. driveability is horrible, life span is horrible, clutch buzz is horrible, and they can do major damage to the transmission and dif (and usually do)
Old 02-07-2012, 10:28 AM

Bill, I'm going to be due for a clutch replacement soon on my 05 AP2 with 39k miles. Since my car had the delay valve originally, I think the PO seriously shortened the life of the clutch. I recently had my car tuned, putting down about 210hp so now I'm getting clutch slippage randomly.

Would your suggestions of an ACT pressure place, stock disc, and flywheel work for my application? Would it be worth it to invest in a light-weight flywheel since I'll have that apart anyway?

Thanks for your valuable input to S2KI!!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
ACT pressure plate.
OEM disc and bearings (I would avoid any disc but stock. no act, no exedy, nothing. get a stock disc from honda)
Your choice of stock flywheel or any chromoly steel flywheel.

Done deal, no clutch buzz, will handle 500hp. totally driveable.
Thanks Bill, is the ACT prolite flywheel any good? Or streetlite? I have a two piece right now, not sure what it is though, I may have my OEM flywheel laying around someplace, but I have a feeling I tossed it.

Also which ACT? Heavy Duty?

Currently I'm running stock clutch with a stock pressure plate and it slips at high speed I suspect it's the pressure plate that is failing me. I could probably just replace that as it's only been maybe 5000km but since it's such a huge PITA to do the work I'll replace everything.