S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need suspension upgrade advice!

Old 10-03-2001, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, first off, i know the S2k has amazing handling, but I want more!

Here is what I am thinking:

Wheels: 17 inch TE37

Springs: Eibach ProKit

Anti Sway Bars: Need suggestions!

Tower Strut Brace: Need suggestions!

X-Brace: Need suggestions!

Also, would you suggest a new strut? if so, which one?

Also, what alighment settings would be a good starting point?

I would like to get coil overs, but I don't have the money for that at this time.

Please help!
Any advice is greatly appriciated!

Shrubba

2000 Red S2k
Anti ST**K Club (pending)
Old 10-03-2001, 09:12 PM

Well, my question is . . . How do you want your car to behave differently from stock?

my $0.02:

Wheels: Go lighter and stronger,but no larger than 17". I was checking out the Mugens, but opted for the Regamasters (Spoon) in 16". TE37 - looks good!

Springs: No Comment

Anti Sway bar (stabilizer bar): Larger diameter in the Front and smaller in the rear will generally induce understeer. I've got the big Mugen up front (31.8 mm/ 5mm), stock rear. IMHO I haven't felt a difference, but I also haven't pushed the car to the _edge_ since the install. Word of mouth says that the more the car is lowered, the more you need to compensate for increased oversteer

Tower Strut Brace: From what I hear, all show.

X-Brace: No Comment

Strut: Huh?

Alignment: Check this thread . . . https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...=race+alignment
Overall, -1 degree of camber, negligable toe and maximum caster is cool

Coil Overs: Quite a few good options. I have the Mugen NZ's and they are VERY user-friendly. Change the damping in all four corners in about a minute . . . rock hard to stock compliant. Also, not too much drop (~1.5") I'm happy!

Really get to know your car before modding the hell out of it!

HAVE FUN!!
Old 10-04-2001, 07:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want more for the street or for the track and auto-xing?

Wheels: Exactly what Josh said. You can go larger than 17" if looks are more important and if its gonna be a street car only.

Springs: The Eibach ProKit is nice, installed it on a friends' 01 Accord coupe, gave it a nice yet "not too much" drop (1.25 - 1.5 inch).

Sway Bars: Josh is right again!. You would want to "stiffen" the front end more than the rear in a rear wheel drive car (the opposite would be true for a front wheel drive) specially if you intend on auto-xing, theoratically, its suppose to help keep your drive wheel planted on the pavement; installing a larger diameter sway bar in the front would do that. I'm not sure if Eibach has an anti-sway bar kit for the S 2000 yet, you can never go wrong with Mugen of course.

Tower Strut Brace: Too many out there to choose from, I like the look of the Comptech one. I wouldn't get one unless you're planning on going to 17" or 18" wheels with a significantly stiffer suspension setup.

X-Brace: Use the search function; almost everyone who got one thinks its the greatest mod for th buck you can get for your S, significantly stiffenning your chassis. I personally like the Digrappa one (you find it one Rick's website); 1 piece solid aluminum. All the others out there would do a fine job too.

Strut: If you're definitely gonna use lowering springs, being stiffer than the stock you probably should go with an after market strut as well. Of course it depends how low you're gonna go. The stock struts will handle the ProKit fine I think, but say if you're planning on getting the Sportline Kit or the H&R Race springs (any springs that will give you a 2" drop or so) then you definitely should upgrade your struts as well as those springs will have a much higher rate as compared to stock. On my friends' Accord which I previously mentioned, we went with the Koni Adjustable Sports; you can easily adjust the stiffness (from almost stock to very stiff), you can also get another inch drop with those as there is an adjestable spring perch on them. I think it would be a great combo if you want the car to be lower and handle better. Of course there are other options, Bilstien is a well reputable in the suspension industry as well.

Alignment: I wouldn't know more than what Josh recommended, but adjusting to a negative camber will definitely give you a better grip. Keep in mind that as a result of lowering your car, she will gain some negative camber, so the more your lower it the more negative camber you gain. You should definitely check what your alignment status is after lowering the car and then proceed.

Coil Overs: Of course you can't go wrong with Mugen, Bilstien makes a set for the S 2000 now I think. I had Coil Overs on my 98 GTI VR6 and I can tell you than unless you're planning on auto-xing or you're just big on the idea of adjusting the ride hight, then I think a combo of after market performance shocks and springs should do fine, specially when $ is an issue!.

Definitely also think that you should get to know the car very well before doing all that.

Hope this is helpful.

Sami
Old 10-04-2001, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by jahwerx
Word of mouth says that the more the car is lowered, the more you need to compensate for increased oversteer
According to the Mugen white paper you can control some of the oversteer by reducing rear ride height.
Old 10-04-2001, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Pepe

According to the Mugen white paper you can control some of the oversteer by reducing rear ride height.
Yeah, the instructions say about 5mm lower in the rear than the front.

It gives the "always accelerating" look