S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need some help with oil jet bolt install

Old 03-12-2012, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just ended up doing them to 12Lbs. I got the pan on but just barley. The honda HT didn't come out that great and I ended up having to past it on there. I think I got a good coat though and decent coverage. It did say to spread it out on the tube.

Will I be able to tell if it leaks when I put oil in or do I have to run the car?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:03 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by erikvanden
Well I just ended up doing them to 12Lbs. I got the pan on but just barley. The honda HT didn't come out that great and I ended up having to past it on there. I think I got a good coat though and decent coverage. It did say to spread it out on the tube.

Will I be able to tell if it leaks when I put oil in or do I have to run the car?
You will have to run the car to know for sure as the oil level doesn't rise above the mating joint when the car is sitting level. I used Permatex Ultragrey sealant, it squeezed out nicely. I'd prefer to have a nicely squeezed bead over pasting it on, but as long as you got good oozing evenly around the perimeter of the pan when the pan was tightened you should be good.

The baffle plate torque was almost 9 ft lbs, you should be fine having used 12 though.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by erikvanden' timestamp='1331600002' post='21502746

You will have to run the car to know for sure as the oil level doesn't rise above the mating joint when the car is sitting level. I used Permatex Ultragrey sealant, it squeezed out nicely. I'd prefer to have a nicely squeezed bead over pasting it on, but as long as you got good oozing evenly around the perimeter of the pan when the pan was tightened you should be good.

The baffle plate torque was almost 9 ft lbs, you should be fine having used 12 though.
I don't know if it completely oozed out of the side everywhere but maybe it oozed inside instead of out. Kind of hard to see under the car anyway. I had a good coat on while still trying not to go nuts. Ill probably leave the braces off and 2 trany bolts off and let the car idle in neutral to see if any leaks out. I am going to have nightmares about under or over torquing the bolts though and the pan not sealing until I have the car running. I don't know how much more precise I could have been though.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my favorite stuff:

I do want to try Hondabond though...
Old 03-12-2012, 06:26 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by erikvanden
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1331600624' post='21502774
[quote name='erikvanden' timestamp='1331600002' post='21502746']

I don't know if it completely oozed out of the side everywhere but maybe it oozed inside instead of out. Kind of hard to see under the car anyway. I had a good coat on while still trying not to go nuts. Ill probably leave the braces off and 2 trany bolts off and let the car idle in neutral to see if any leaks out. I am going to have nightmares about under or over torquing the bolts though and the pan not sealing until I have the car running. I don't know how much more precise I could have been though.
[/quote]

It will seal along the inner edge, when I removed my factory sealed pan it had a solid bead line along the inner edge even larger than the outer edge. Don't sweat the torque settings on the baffle plate, being 3 lbs over won't harm anything and you'll likely never be in there again. You'll likely be fine, just check it after you run it for a bit, an oil leak will show up very quickly and will show up on the floor below and be very evident. The sealant levels out nicely you'll be safe.