S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need some help asap, dealing with honda dealership

Old 08-09-2005, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Need some help asap, dealing with honda dealership

I made an appointment to bring my car to the dealer to have them look into a buzz that i was getting from the dash everytime i drive above or around 60 mph on teh freeway i get a crazie buzz noise. At first i thought it could be teh clutch buzz everyone is talking about. Honda just looked at it for the past 2 hours and found out that i no longer have the original honda windshield. They said that they have diagnosed it as wind noise and since some parts on my car were replaced with orginal honda parts they can no longer diagnos the problem under warranty for free but will charge me $79 dollars an hour if i wish for them to continue to find the problem for the wind noise. Does anyone really think the buzz is from the wind noise? I asked how much longer it would take and he said he does not know since all they can do is do trial and error with taping up areas here and there until they find the problem. The noise is very annoying and unbearable since it happens every time im above 60 and i travel on the freeway often also. Any advice would be much appreciated. I told them to put my car on hold and that i will call them back whether i want them to continue to diagnos the car for wind noise. This is also a MY04 s2k with about 30,500 miles.

Also since i believe its the clutch buzz, i also asked what if i let them continue and after hrs and hrs, they come to find out it isnt the wind noise but actually a problem with a component will i be charged for the hrs that they were trying to find out where the wind noise was coming from, he said they have finalized the decision that it is a wind noise. Not sure what i should do about that also.

Thanks

John
Old 08-09-2005, 09:56 AM

They just told me that if i have glass insurance for my car, i should go ahead and get the one on the car replaced. Does anyone know if Geico will change the windshield to a oem honda one for this reason that honda has given me?
Old 08-09-2005, 11:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

first, do you actually have a non-OEM windshield in your car? did you buy the car from the honda dealership as is?
Old 08-09-2005, 11:36 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

It's pretty easy to tape the windshield trim yourself to find the buzz. I would try this first. If you tape all the way around the windshield and it goes away, then I would consider having a glass shop look at it. If the buzz does not go away, then the dealer may be wrong.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:30 PM

The windshield is non-oem honda, since it does not have the honda label on it, i bought it used from a private seller. The service guy told me they tried the taping but im not sure where and how they taped it but they could not solve teh problem in the 2 hrs they spent on my car, after they found out that i have oem replacement bumper, and non-oem windshield and told me they can no longer work on it udner warranty but will charge $79 dollars an hr. I will try the taping myself with a friend of mine who works for honda mechanic, hopefully i can solve this issue myself, but they are pretty much certain that the buzz is caused by wind noise, also i just got the car back and before the buzz would come on while driving 60mph+ but now its happening at around 40 mph also, so im a little pissed about that. Well ill see waht i can do but any more input would be nice.

Thanks

John
Old 08-09-2005, 03:14 PM

This doesn't sound like the infamous "clutch buzz". You get that during deceleration. Plus, the clutch buzz doesn't sound like its coming from the dash.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

04's don't have the same clutch buzz the TSB covers.

Your car doesn't fall under the bulletin. Did the noise start after the windshield was replaced?
Old 08-09-2005, 04:12 PM

I'm not sure, ive only owned the car for the past month and half and i guess it was already replaced by the previous owner, he did not tell me it was replaced, but at first it wasnt noticeable at all, maybe happened once a week but i thought it was the clutch buzz so didnt care much attention to it but now since its happening everytime im on the freeway its getting somewhat annoying.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark this day on your calendar! For once, I agree with the dealer's mechanic.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:47 AM

so you bought the car used and its been wrecked in the front?