S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need Some Assistance

Old 04-14-2012, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Assistance

What does the code P0303-0302 mean? I took it to the Honda dealer and they replaced my spark plugs and did a valve adjustment. They also replaced the serpentine drive belt, swapped the coil packs, swapped fuel injectors, and did a compression test all which came out good. They said its either a valve issue or something on the lower end of the engine, at a warm idle I hear a very light knocking. What do you guys think I should do?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:04 PM

Those codes mean you have a misfire in cylinders 2 and 3. It sounds like your dealership did a lot of guesswork at your expense. Misfires are usually an issue with spark, fuel or compression. Did they try a leak down test? Did they wait until the engine was cold before adjusting the valves? You could possibly have some bent valves... have you ever mis-shifted and over-revved the engine?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:53 PM

If you have the equipment I would do a voltage, amp, and ohm test on the primary and secondary ignition circuits.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by NFRAP2
Those codes mean you have a misfire in cylinders 2 and 3. It sounds like your dealership did a lot of guesswork at your expense. Misfires are usually an issue with spark, fuel or compression. Did they try a leak down test? Did they wait until the engine was cold before adjusting the valves? You could possibly have some bent valves... have you ever mis-shifted and over-revved the engine?
Couldn't agree more. I would write Honda to inform them of the incompetent service department. You may indeed have some severe top-end damage: bent valves, or burned guides.

A hot valve adjustment (in my experience) would not be enough to cause misfiring, more likely to cause poor economy, reduced power and excessive ticking noise.

I hope you didn't pay for any of the repairs (especially the serpentine belt?). The dealer can easily swap coil packs, injectors temporarily to diagnose but should return yours after confirming no change.

Do you have the spark plugs that were pulled? Honda VTEC engine spark plugs read like book when it comes to running conditions inside the cyls. Any more information?
Old 04-14-2012, 08:26 PM

So I'm not sure if they did a leak down test, it just says "compression test: good" on the work order. also dont think they waited for a cold engine to do the valve adjustment. Worst case scenario what would it cost to replace whatever may be bent? I know I sound stupid because i'm not mechanically inclined, will driving the car hurt anything worse than it is? The total for that visit was $696. The car is approaching 160k this was diagnosed at 156k
Old 04-14-2012, 08:31 PM

I havent owned this one for that long, I have 2. One garage queen NFR and then this Berlina 02. The previous owner did admit he didn't buy an s2000 to drive it slow lol,he was the original owner. I would guess he may have had a few miss shifts in 10 years. Appreciate the help guys keep the good info coming!
Old 04-14-2012, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by zhashmi
So I'm not sure if they did a leak down test, it just says "compression test: good" on the work order. also dont think they waited for a cold engine to do the valve adjustment. Worst case scenario what would it cost to replace whatever may be bent? I know I sound stupid because i'm not mechanically inclined, will driving the car hurt anything worse than it is? The total for that visit was $696. The car is approaching 160k this was diagnosed at 156k
$700 and they didn't even fix the problem that you brought the car in for and sent you on your way with a couple of guesses... I would not be pleased. If you have bent valves it will easily be over a grand with labor as they would have to pull the head from the engine to replace the valves. I am really curious if they even replaced the ignition coils like they claim the did... $700 does not sound like enough to have replaced the ignition coils, fuel injectors and serpentine belt along with the labor of adjusting valves. Do you have an itemized receipt of the parts replaced and labor performed?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by NFRAP2
Originally Posted by zhashmi' timestamp='1334463992' post='21608639
$700 and they didn't even fix the problem that you brought the car in for and sent you on your way with a couple of guesses... I would not be pleased. If you have bent valves it will easily be over a grand with labor as they would have to pull the head from the engine to replace the valves. I am really curious if they even replaced the ignition coils like they claim the did... $700 does not sound like enough to have replaced the ignition coils, fuel injectors and serpentine belt along with the labor of adjusting valves. Do you have an itemized receipt of the parts replaced and labor performed?
Yeah they didnt seem like they knew what to do, theyre no use for anything besides oil changes i guess. I have the work order saved on a PDF file at home, I'll take a screenshot and post it here so you can get a better understanding of what they did. In the meantime the car drives normal, and at pretty much any speed its perfect. Its just that when it idles I can hear a knocking sound which is scary. Would me driving this car (not taking it in higher rpms) accellerate the problem or is it fine?
Old 04-15-2012, 11:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Small claims court.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by zhashmi
Originally Posted by NFRAP2' timestamp='1334470967' post='21608776
[quote name='zhashmi' timestamp='1334463992' post='21608639']
Yeah they didnt seem like they knew what to do, theyre no use for anything besides oil changes i guess. I have the work order saved on a PDF file at home, I'll take a screenshot and post it here so you can get a better understanding of what they did. In the meantime the car drives normal, and at pretty much any speed its perfect. Its just that when it idles I can hear a knocking sound which is scary. Would me driving this car (not taking it in higher rpms) accellerate the problem or is it fine?
[/quote]
It's hard to say if and at what rate the problem will be accelerated without knowing exactly what the problem is, but I would not drive the car as long as there is a misfire if you can help it as unburned fuel passing through the exhaust can damage the catalytic converter and your oil can become diluted with fuel. Based on the fact that you say it drives fine at speed but has issues at idle, it really sounds like a compression issue. I have witnessed a car that exhibited the same symptoms before and it turned out to be low compression in cylinders 2 and 3 due to a crack in the headgasket between these cylinders. I would advise either doing another compression check yourself (very easy task, if you can change oil you can probably handle a compression check) or have another shop that you trust do a compression check. If you had a bad coil or fuel injector, you would most likely have noticeable stumbling/misfiring at speed. I know that they said the compression was "good" but I wouldn't trust whatever work they did at this point because it all sounds really fishy. Did you have the exact same P302/303 codes both before and after the work was performed?

Quick Reply: Need Some Assistance