S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

NEED some advice, thanks!

Old 12-31-2008, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED some advice, thanks!

CEL/MIL

Hey everyone, its been about a week or so now since the CEL went on, i went and got an obdII scanner and ran the codes, just needed some direct advice. Codes I got were
P1399 honda random/multiple cylinder misfire detected
as well as
P0301 cylinder 1 misfire detected
P0302 " " 2 " "
P0303 " " 3 " "
P0304 " " 4 " "

I searched the forums and seems like everyone who has gotten this pretty common P01399 and following codes have had alot of the same symptoms where the car runs fine with no noticeable performance issue. Some people did some light work, (changing plugs/coils and such) the codes disappeared. BUT the majority of people i noticed just reset the codes and they stayed off.
I was debating to just clear the codes and see if they would stay off.

I was low on oil by about 2 quarts, egads.gif i know i know... but i checked the engine slightly warm/ possibly on incline when diagnosing problem, so didn't give it a second thought until i checked it totally cold when i noticed the oil level barley touched the bottom of the dipstick. i was hoping i just got the MIL due to the low oil, but im not sure how the misfire codes would be related to low oil, maybe low oil pressure?

[B]My car drivetrain and emissions system are 100% bone stock[B]

Any advice would be great, I hope if i did clear the codes and everything would be fine. Would they stay off after some time/ more oil? seeing as im gonna be heading up to Thill on the 2nd... i really dont want to jeopardize the health of my car by doing a full track day...thanks!

1st post...

CEL, so today driving back from some errands (normal driving, already warmed up and everything) she threw a "malfunction indicator lamp" ugh frown.gif ... referred to page 234 in manual, only solution provided was the gas cap being open, but not possible since I was mid-tank, and thus don't see it being better if I waited the suggested three days. I double checked anyways, but it was clicked closed, so im guessing its another problem. I didn't do any recent maintenance on the drivetrain, or emissions system.

TIA! any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Ken
Old 12-31-2008, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd keep an eye on a lot of things and change out the nickel-dime parts as required, ruling them out as causes (like the sparkplugs or topping off the oil). somehow i've had the gas cap come loose on the s2k and i've never had that happen on any other car ever, really unusual. just be vigilant on your maintenance for the time being...
Old 12-31-2008, 08:12 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The gas cap code can happen a few days after your last fill up.

As for the misfire...looks like you done some searching...you've probably seen a post or two from me on the subject. Just follow the directions (fresh gasoline, compression check, plugs, coil packs, injectors).