S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need a quick answer please

Old 03-28-2006, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get a new bolt and crush washer (examine the crush washer carefully, there is flat side and a 'rounded' side. the rounded side touches the bolt head and the flat side goes against the pan). Torqe to 33 lbs. no leaks and you're golden. leaks? u need a new oil pan
Old 03-28-2006, 12:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm so pissed right now! WHen I go to tighten the bolt it doesn't tighten! Like it gets to a point where it feels kinda tight, but if I keep going(not using hard force) it breaks loose again! Did I mess up the threads on my oil pan? I can't believe I did this!
Old 03-28-2006, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sucks.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Riceboi,Mar 28 2006, 01:56 PM
I'm so pissed right now! WHen I go to tighten the bolt it doesn't tighten! Like it gets to a point where it feels kinda tight, but if I keep going(not using hard force) it breaks loose again! Did I mess up the threads on my oil pan? I can't believe I did this!
Time to drop the oil pan.

You might be able to get away with helicoiling the threads... but otherwise you need a new oil pan. They are about $190 last time I checked.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tighten the bolt to the tightest possible point withoutit breaking loose again, and I added some new oil and there is no leaks at all. Would the car be ok to drive like that as long as I don't leak at all or should I get the oil pan repaired ASAP?

Just so I don't mess anything else up, to loosen the oil filter I turn it counter clockwise also right?

Man I feel so stupid!
Old 03-28-2006, 01:32 PM

My advice is: do NOT drive the car.

The oil bolt cannot be properly tightened. It may be an even looser fit when the oil pan gets hot as you drive. There is a very real possibility that engine vibration and the shocks transmitted to the engine when the car hits bumps in the road will cause the bolt to fall out, with potentially catastrophic results. You might get away with driving it, or you might cost yourself thousands of dollars if you suddenly lose all your oil.

Edited post.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:39 PM

I know some people fix the treads with special tools but i don't know if it's a good idea, better go with a brand new one from honda

good luck
Old 03-28-2006, 01:52 PM

sounds like the bolt is the only thing thats messed up... is there a bare spot (missing thread) near the head of the bolt? Either way, you can try running with 2 or ever 3 washers, not recommended, but better than just haveing the bolt losely sitting there... you woulndt want that bolt to back out on the highway or anything...
Old 03-28-2006, 01:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Riceboi,Mar 28 2006, 04:20 PM
I tighten the bolt to the tightest possible point withoutit breaking loose again, and I added some new oil and there is no leaks at all. Would the car be ok to drive like that as long as I don't leak at all or should I get the oil pan repaired ASAP?

Just so I don't mess anything else up, to loosen the oil filter I turn it counter clockwise also right?

Man I feel so stupid!
yeah but how tight is that? how many lb/ft? don't you have a torque wrench? there's a reason it's only supposed to be torqued to 33lb/ft. you can't just put the bolt on and tighten it as far as your strength can go.

if you drive the car the way it is now, good luck on that whole thousands of dollars gamble with the engine. i think the others who are suggesting to replace the oil pan and the bolt have it right.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya, threads are screwed in the pan...pull the pan, get the threads helicoiled by a mechanic, get a new gasket, bolt the pan back on...put the new oil drain bolt back in, refill with oil and then check for leaks.

Everything should be good...

and no, don't drive it.

Have a friend take you with your screwed pan to a mechanic...and call Honda now to make sure you can get the gasket...while the mechanic is fixing your pan, go pick up the gasket.

Now, since I have never actually pulled the pan on this car, other more knowledgable people may correct me, I don't know if there is an actual gasket for the pan, or if they just use a silicon sealant? But if you call the dealer and they don't have a gasket for the S2k...you'll need some sort of oil pan gasket maker (silicon) and the mechanic can direct you were to get some and what to get.

Quick Reply: Need a quick answer please