S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

need opinions.really dont want to do this again

Old 12-19-2014, 01:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
You have to push the clutch to start the car. When you do so the pressure plate itself is being pressed on by hydraulic forces, which in turn carries through the engine via the crank. The load is placed on the thrust bearings, which during startup do not have oil. Bypassing the clutch allows you to start the car without the extra load on the thrust bearings.

My only hesitation and in turn question to Jordan would be what about the force that is now required to turn a cold transmission (even in neutral there is load), where does that extra wear end up and does it potentially negate the benifit of the bypass?
The rotational force required to turn the trans in neutral is almost nothing and IMO would not induce any extra wear on any portion of the engine, not even the starter. If you've ever had a trans off, put it in neutral and spin the input shaft (which has a very small surface area for your hands to turn), and you'll find that it's VERY easy. Now with a clutch disc on those splines you've spread that surface area over a much larger weighted object (Flywheel and Pressure Plate), effectively lessening the work required to turn the shaft.

Think about it this way. How hard would it be to drive your car and turn your steering wheel with a 2" steering wheel as opposed to a 14-15" steering wheel? Same concept.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:17 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I love my Mugen pressure plate. It's fantastic. If you can wait a few weeks to get, I would go this or the one that everyone recommends. Don't have the same person do the install as before
Old 12-19-2014, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the install :-/ lol
Old 12-19-2014, 05:34 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
Originally Posted by bgoetz' timestamp='1419010730' post='23442244
You have to push the clutch to start the car. When you do so the pressure plate itself is being pressed on by hydraulic forces, which in turn carries through the engine via the crank. The load is placed on the thrust bearings, which during startup do not have oil. Bypassing the clutch allows you to start the car without the extra load on the thrust bearings.

My only hesitation and in turn question to Jordan would be what about the force that is now required to turn a cold transmission (even in neutral there is load), where does that extra wear end up and does it potentially negate the benifit of the bypass?
The rotational force required to turn the trans in neutral is almost nothing and IMO would not induce any extra wear on any portion of the engine, not even the starter. If you've ever had a trans off, put it in neutral and spin the input shaft (which has a very small surface area for your hands to turn), and you'll find that it's VERY easy. Now with a clutch disc on those splines you've spread that surface area over a much larger weighted object (Flywheel and Pressure Plate), effectively lessening the work required to turn the shaft.

Think about it this way. How hard would it be to drive your car and turn your steering wheel with a 2" steering wheel as opposed to a 14-15" steering wheel? Same concept.

Thanks Jordan, I was really just searching for an answer, sounds like the bypass is a decent idea even with the OEM clutch.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only question regarding this mod... Wouldn't having the friction disc and knout shaft involved with starting cause more strain rather than just the flywheel and pressure plate? Sorry for the questions I guess I need illustrations to see exactly whats affected. I'm probably going to end up doing the mod with the act pp. Seems simple enough