S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

need a new head

Old 05-14-2007, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile need a new head

I just don't get how I need a new head. I've never done anything abusive with this car such as misshifts, overrevs and what-not, and the only problems i've had are CELs p1128 and 29 - the map higher and lower than expected codes. These codes are my only irritant with this car since it causes my idle to always drop when at a stop and would give me the 3k rpm limiter. The problem went away a day after it showed up and didn't really show up again for a month or so. Until the idle problem came back again..

I thought I would take it into the dealership( for the SECOND time) since I have a full extended warranty for this damn car. (First time service manager told me "oh it's no problem its just the map sensor, it happens alot with this car"). He gave me a map sensor tie and sent me on my way. I was pretty happy because I could actually idle again.

A week later the car couldnt idle at all again, so I brought it back. I was pretty angry as you could imagine, wondering why doesn't my dealership know the problem? They held it overnight to do some "tests" and see whats wrong with it. First day they ordered a new map sensor (75$ + rush shipping) to see if that would fix it. It didn't. Then the second day they said they were going to do a valve readjustment. I didn't speak with them after the valve adjustment, my father did, and what he could get from what they were saying (he doesn't know much about engines) is that I will need a new head....and it will cost $1,300 . still pending if insurance will cover it (and they damn will because it isn't driver abuse.)

I will call them up tomorrow to get more "detailed" information, but has anyone heard of a problem with needing a new head, and what possible causes are?
And how could my head have anything to do with my idle? the car runs fine from 1k to 9k RPM no studders, etc. I thought it might just be the idle air control valve if not the map sensor...someone help.

Also...the car was bought used, i'm now wondering if the previous owner had done anything to the car before. It had a clean carfax and dealership inspection when I bought it though.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be surprised if it is the head. I think they were on the right track with the MAP...but needed to go a little farther. There is a small air passage on the throttle body that runs intake air up to the MAP...I have seen them nearly closed off from carbon and crud. A good cleaning will open it up. You have to remove the throttle body as the air passage is on the backside where it mates to the manifold.

Otherwise, I would also be suspecting the idle control valve (also gets very dirty and sticks)...and then the injectors (can be tested with an ohm meter and visually inspected) before I would consider pulling the head.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:55 PM

Thanks for your helpful reply Negcamber, does anyone else have anything other to chime in on?

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2007, 05:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you give more info about the "idle issue"

is it stalling? or it's jumpy? what is the range? cold vs hot

it could be the IAC also, mine was covered with carbon when i service it at 100k

also, check to see if you put in the map gasket correctly, if it's not aligned or property seated, it will cause a leak in the manifold and thats all it takes to give you crappy idle.

did the dealer even clean the tb and manifold before replacing the head?
Old 05-14-2007, 07:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only idle problems I have ever had were fixed by cleaning the TB.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like dealer BS and/or chinese whispers to me.

The head is a pretty complex piece of work. It needs be level within 0.002 or it won't seal (loss of compression, overheating, aerated oil etc). It's valve guides need to be in good condition or it will burn oil, etc. But none of this is related to idle.

You need to ask what aspect of the head means it needs to be replaced.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:35 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

you need more explanation before you take that head off...

but if you do get a new head, make sure you keep your old one...it may very well be in good condition.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:08 AM
Banned

I wonder how ur spark plugs are. Cracked ones can cause wierd idling, mis-fires and/or compression leaks
Old 05-15-2007, 04:40 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought a used 2005 head with 11K miles from a guy that works at a Honda dealer. The head was from his car and was discarded for warranty replacement. They told him he needed a new head too. The reason they gave him was
Old 05-15-2007, 07:45 AM

The stealership once told me on my Integra that my head was scratched to utter hell, holes in my pistons and all of my valves were bent. When in reality it was just the ignition coil.

Quick Reply: need a new head