S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need new brakes

Old 05-25-2014, 02:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need new brakes

Well, after 10.5 years and 72K miles, my front brake pads need replaced. Any suggestions on who should do the work (not me)? I plan to go with OEM Honda pads and might just replace rears while I'm at it too. Do you think taking it to a dealer would be too risky? Or just buy the parts and take it to a local independent shop?

I bled the brakes yesterday in preparation with Valvoline DOT 3/4, and used leftover for the clutch. No noise from the rear brakes yet. I figured I might as well change the engine oil too while I had it lifted.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you can bleed the brakes you are more than capable of replacing the pads yourself. OEM pads are fine.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its real easy to replace the brake pads. Bleeding the brakes are probably harder! Do a search on s2ki to find yourself a DIY write up and make sure you go rent a brake caliper tool at auto zone to compress the pistons back into the cailbers. I should of used OEM brake pads as well, but I decided to get hawk HP+'s for more braking power. Although they have a better feel they are extrememly loud when hot. OEM is best.
I'm sure a dealer is more than capable of changing your break pads. Nothing special about the s2000 brakes that differentiates them to other Hondas.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by spets
if you can bleed the brakes you are more than capable of replacing the pads yourself. OEM pads are fine.
Some recent health issues have sapped my strength and finger dexterity. I'm not sure I could even get a wheel off and back on right now. I was able to struggle through the bleed and engine oil change because I was so familiar with the procedures. But it took most of the day to do the work. I didn't get to the transmission and diff. So I get to look forward to that another day!

Thanks for the OEM advice though. Other than brake dust, I had no problems with the originals.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While you're doing brakes....do them all.New rotors,pads & lines.

I run EBC slots,Hawk HPS pads & Goodridge SS lines on my 03...and of course bleed the system.

\rlr
Carolina
Old 05-26-2014, 09:39 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

To be honest any top of the line pad at Vato zone is as good as if not better than OEM, just my personal experience. If you want something a bit of a step up get some Akebono pads, by far the best ceramic/organic pads I've had experience with. As far as disks, same, just make sure the ones you get have painted hubs so they don't rust out. You can't resurface slotted rotors. I agree about replacing lines, if you've had the car for 10 years and this is your first break job just get SS lines, they're not much more than OEM lines and they feel so much better.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:18 AM

Not sure what all I'll have done until I have a better look around with a mechanic. Personally, I've never heard of replacing rotors and brake lines the first time you change pads. When I bled the brakes, everything still looked very new and clean. The only obvious problem is the wear indicator noise in the front. I ordered the pads from a local dealership, but may cancel that order and deal with a local mechanic to show me what needs replaced. I just have to wait for it to stop raining in a few days.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get oem. Very reasonable priced for its performance. Let the dealer do the job if you don't want to DIY(it's not difficult to DIY). No any other parts need to be replaced since I am assuming you don't track the car?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:43 AM

I cancelled the dealership parts order and decided to just order front and rear Honda pads from one of our s2ki sponsors. Definitely a lot cheaper than the dealership. I do have a shop in mind to take it in NW Houston. The owner has a lot of S2000 customers, many of whom are racers. I think he will be expensive, but honest about what I need to have done. I don't track the car, so I'm not trying to feed the family with it.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:45 AM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

A local shop can get oem parts from the dealer. They usually prefer to use aftermarket, but if you tell them to use oem they will.

They usually don't like it if you buy the parts yourself and bring them in. Like going to a restaurant and bringing your own food for them to cook.

Quick Reply: Need new brakes