S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need a new AP1 stock engine - now what?

Old 08-26-2019, 08:21 AM

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

You will need to use the VTEC pressure switch from your old engine as the JDM engines don't have it, or alternatively run a JDM ECU. However those don't come with an immobilizer (I think?) and will be limited to 180kph (unless it's modified). Engine will bolt up to any other S2000 gearbox just fine no issues there. They indeed are rated 10hp higher from factory, however if your not using the JDM ECU as well I don't think many of these 10 extra horses will be there. Also, the JDM engines have a higher compression ratio and will knock sooner on lower octane fuel so I would run them on RON 98 or better only.

One final personal remark: I have found used japanese engines to have screwed me over a lot less than used engines from 'western' sellers. From my small sample size it seems that people here are a lot less honest about what they are selling. But take this with a grain of salt, just my personal grieves with the past.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks @Scigheras those kinds of details are really good to know.

Another question: since my last post I discovered and talked to John at InlinePro - seems they can rebuild the engine to stock for close to the same as I can buy a JDM motor. That seems to make whole lot more sense.....
Old 08-29-2019, 03:49 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,406 Likes on 1,047 Posts

I'd rather have a factory built engine.

I don't see many downsides to the JDM swap.

Or just find a good used engine on eBay. Nice and simple.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
I'd rather have a factory built engine.

I don't see many downsides to the JDM swap.

Or just find a good used engine on eBay. Nice and simple.
So, I totally don't disagree...but how do I know if its a good used engine? Wasnt ragged out, they kept up with the oil changes and levels, etc...? Even with JDM engines - was it in a drift car? Something else? That's what I'm trying to figure out - isn't it a crap shoot?
Old 09-01-2019, 03:05 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm4000
So, I totally don't disagree...but how do I know if its a good used engine? Wasnt ragged out, they kept up with the oil changes and levels, etc...? Even with JDM engines - was it in a drift car? Something else? That's what I'm trying to figure out - isn't it a crap shoot?
In my opinion a good indicator (obviously not the be all and end all) is the condition of the valve cover. Low mileage engines from stock cars generally have good condition valve covers. The more the engine has been messed with/transplanted/modified the valve cover will usually look crap.
You're right though there is a level of risk to buying a used engine. Even if compression/leak down tests are good there's always a chance of something lurking.
Having said that I would choose a good used factory engine over a built engine. A built engine comes with risk too.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by clio
In my opinion a good indicator (obviously not the be all and end all) is the condition of the valve cover. Low mileage engines from stock cars generally have good condition valve covers. The more the engine has been messed with/transplanted/modified the valve cover will usually look crap.
You're right though there is a level of risk to buying a used engine. Even if compression/leak down tests are good there's always a chance of something lurking.
Having said that I would choose a good used factory engine over a built engine. A built engine comes with risk too.
Sorry, Just saw this! Thanks!
Old 10-05-2019, 12:59 PM

So, for a number of reasons, I'm finally ready to deal with this - and I have another question:

TLDR:
About how much money can I expect to make from selling/parting out my existing 2001 pretty much stock black AP1(~180K miles) with a spun bearing? (see pics below)

Background:
- The car is pretty much a fully stock 2001 Berlinetta black, ~180K miles, was running great, decent compression, etc., and then I let the oil get low and spun a bearing (argh).
- Body/paint looks OK at 20 mph or at night, but has a lot of really little door dings, etc. Not ~great~, not bad. Interior is good, trunk liners look like new, etc.
- After all is said and done, It looks like it will cost me a minimum of $6500ish total (I hope) to replace the engine to stock.
- Its about the same cost to go with an InlinePro rebuild to stock (Cylinder head and short block build: complete disassembly, fix everything, valves, balanced, etc) + a new/used crank which they will supply, as the cost of a JDM (I'm in Texas, both will be installed by the guys at AutoSpec in Round Rock.
- InlinePro gives a 1 yr warranty. JDM's I've seen are 6 mos.
- I can spend $1.5 - $2K-ish more with the InlinePro guys and, on the short block they do their Inline Pro F24 Signature Series FRM (stock sleeves) short block build, and add about 50 HP without giving up the AP1 characteristics (I talked to another very knowledgeable/experienced owner on here (not referred to me by IP - he told me about them) who did that with them and raved about it)(sounds pretty spectacular to me).

The issue is $$$.

- I can afford the JDM or InlinePro rebuild to stock, but then I'm into the car for a total of about $11000 in financing (what is left on the original loan, plus more to fix it, just trust me)
- If I do the F24 build, that goes up. to $12.5K+. And that would be a LOT of fun.

OR

- I could buy a car in similar shape, probably with a lot less miles on it, (I'm looking at a 2000 with about 130K miles on the car and 65K on an AP2 engine that he installed, after he spun a bearing, for about $8100.
- which puts me at about $12.5K including the existing note
- and just sell/part out my current one.
- The $$ from which, when subtracted from that $12.5K equals......$What?.

The question is: About how much money can I expect to make from selling/parting out my existing 2001 black AP1 with a spun bearing? Could I come out ahead? By how much? Or would it be so close that its not worth it?

I would super appreciate any insight.... thanks much!

I took the stoopid black rubber paint off the wheels...

Old 10-15-2019, 02:34 PM

Received 422 Likes on 386 Posts

Wait until another second hand engine shows from a smashed car,got one with 60k miles for 2.5k UK pounds..
Old 10-15-2019, 04:38 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

In all of spun bearing cases I’ve seen, the cylinder head/cams/rockers etc showed 0 damage...you likely have a good head to work with.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
In all of spun bearing cases I’ve seen, the cylinder head/cams/rockers etc showed 0 damage...you likely have a good head to work with.
Thanks, @Billman, that's good to hear.
Pardon my ignorance, but does that mean that I have other options to work with it than just swapping out a different used long block, and/or retaining more value to the parts from the current engine?
This is my daily driver (or it would be) so I'm not looking to do a project, I just need to get it back up and running as reliably and economically as possible.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Need a new AP1 stock engine - now what?