S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need to Loosen and Retorque Sway Bars After Coilover Height Adjustment?

Old 09-13-2011, 04:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need to Loosen and Retorque Sway Bars After Coilover Height Adjustment?

Hey guys, I've got a quick question. I took my car in for an alignment last week and the tech couldn't get the negative camber low enough. It was the end of the day so they asked me to come back this week, which I did yesterday. The tech still couldn't get the camber under control. I'm dropped slightly on Bilstein pss9s but nothing crazy. The same shop (although a different tech) has been able to get my car in spec every time I've taken it in before. I even raised the car a bit between last week's attempt at alignment and this week's, and although he got it closer, there is still enough negative camber to make me worry about the inner tires wearing unevenly. My car is probably within 1/2" of stock ride height so I don't think I need a camber kit or anything.

After adjusting the height on coilovers, should I have loosened and retorqued the sway bars? That's about the only reason I can think of that the camber is out (or the tech was inept, he kept saying they don't see many S2000s and that they are very difficult). I'm taking it to a different shop today in hopes they can get it right. Thanks for any help!
Old 09-13-2011, 02:35 PM

Is it a dumb question or does no one know? When installing coilovers, it is said you are supposed to preload the suspension before torquing down the sway bar connections. I figured that by changing the height of the coilovers, the load could have changed, resulting in the sway bars not being in a neutral position and applying strain to the suspension.

Anyway, I took the car to a different shop and they were able to get the camber dialed in (I think... The beginning specs they gave me didn't match the finishing specs of the previous shop leading me to question the accuracy of the whole thing. At least the car feels better.), but I'm still wondering if it is a good idea to reset the sway bars after future height adjustments.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:02 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

The sway bar moves in it's mounts by design and has no impact on camber. When we corner balance a can the sway bay is unhooked. This is because it is a spring and will slightly change the ride height. You have to use adjustable end link to remove the sway bar preload when you lower a car. Without them, you are stuck with what you have. But camber is not effected
Old 09-14-2011, 07:24 AM

Awesome, thanks for the reply!