S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need a little advice regarding the gasket between the cat and exhaust...

Old 06-04-2003, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little advice regarding the gasket between the cat and exhaust...

Hey guys, well I installed my cat back the other day (JIC full titanium). Anyway in my excitement I forgot to put in a new gasket (or even reuse the old one) between the cat and the exhaust. DOH! Anyway no biggie, I ran to honda the next weekend and picked one up (along with some new hardware because the nuts should be replaced too and one of my bolts on the cat was starting to strip so I am replacing that too).

Anyway long story short, but there doesnt seem to be any sort of seat for the gasket on the JIC exhaust, nor on the cat. I was just going to stick it in there and tighten the exhaust down. What I wanted to see is if anyone had any tips or tricks to keep that sucker in the right position WHILE I bolted everything back down?

Thanks in advance if you have any advice

-J
Old 06-04-2003, 07:35 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Quick question about your bolts comment - I'd noticed a couple of the bolts on my cat were getting stripped also. But from the parts catalogs I've gotten a look at, it appears the bolts are actually part of the cat. Have you actually replaced the bolts yet? I'd like to know if I'm missing some info before I got buy parts...

As for the gasket - maybe a little celophane tape? It'll burn off from the heat of the exhaust, but that shouldn't hurt much.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:46 AM

Good idea on the tape, now that I think of it maybe even a lil dab of the good ole hondabond....

As for the bolts, they are in fact separate pieces, if you look here:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...y5=EXHAUST+PIPE

Its part number 3 - CONVERTER, BOLT.

They pretty much have to be hammered out I think. The one that was stripped broke loose and spun around in there when I was hitting it with an impact gun trying to get the nut off. The head of the bolt is pretty much just round with two flat spots on either side to let you fit an open ended wrench around it. I would love to replace the other two at the same time as the one that's stripped but I dont wanna break any more loose that arent already loose

I guess a bit of tape or hondabond or whatever couldn't hurt down there.... Any othe thoughts, has anyone else experienced this problem with aftermarket exhausts?

Thanks!
-J
Old 06-04-2003, 08:17 AM

I installed my Invidia exhaust and ran into a similar problem. The stock exhaust does not have a gasket. It uses a ring that seats between the cat and b pipe. When I received my Invidia the gasket did not fit the bolt pattern. I had some gasket material and made my own one. No problems so far.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:53 AM

You can pick up a universal teflon ring from any parts shop.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:27 AM

See I have the "stock" gasket. Its a round ring that looks like it flattens upon the exhaust being tightened down. I can see where it is embedded onto the stock exhaust. Hmmm I'll also contact the manufacturer and see what they say.

-J
Old 06-04-2003, 09:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would think you need a conventional gasket rather than the ring that requires a seat in one side.

The bolts on the cat appear to be pressed in so they would need to be pressed or driven out to be replaced with a bolt and nut.