S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need Krank Vent info

Old 03-25-2008, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THIS KV GOES INTO THE LARGER, USUALLY 1/2" HOSE THAT EXITS THE VALVE COVER (OR SOMETIMES THE REAR BREATHER PORT) & ORIGINALLY WENT TO THE AIR BOX. SPLICE THE LARGE KV INTO THIS LINE WITH THE FLOW AWAY FROM THE ENGINE! IF THE END OF THIS HOSE IS NOT CONNECTED TO THE AIR BOX THEN IT CAN VENT TO THE AOSPHERE OR A CATCH CAN AS REQUIRED BY VARIOUS TRACK REGULATIONS.

I was wrong about the direction of the intake hose... both air flow directions should flow away from the engine according to this description.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by juntuned,Mar 25 2008, 06:48 AM
I have an integra with 230 whp N/A bud...
wow, good for you, want a cookie? lol I'm glad you have an n/a integra with 230whp. How much of that whp is from your stickers? lol but really now, don't really care how you got your 230whp, in the end all you'll see are my tail lights. thats all that matters to me. haha lol

and about your reply as to why mod your car. people mod their car to go faster, or atleast make the engine run safer/better. Neither has been TRULY proven on an n/a engine.

PUtting the back krank vent on the pcv valve on a boosted engine doesn't add any more horsepower, but it allows the system to run as designed from the factory (since you're preventing boost from entering the crank case)... thast why I recommend it. on an n/a, its not needed since there will never be pressure coming in from that direction.. and there are bigger things that you can do to add hp to your n/a car, this is not it silly ricer.

If this would help the engine run better, Manufacturer's would've done this a long time ago. We mod it to go faster, If manufacturers found a way to make engines run better or safer, don't you think they would've done that. Men, some people are just stubborn. you my friend is totally clueless. --->
Old 03-25-2008, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by juntuned,Mar 25 2008, 06:52 AM
this argument is not between you and me... Im just relaying info from the MANUFACTURERS website. If you want to send them an email and tell them they should have only manufactured ONE krank vent then feel free.
If a manufacturer can get get silly ricers convinced that their special stickers would add 30 whp on their car, then I can guarantee you they will sell them.

but yes, I do agree this is not an argument between us, I only reply to any comments you direct towards me.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:21 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

this thread went to shet really fast.

thanks spitfireS for taking the time to post an elaborate explanation.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by jyeung528,Mar 25 2008, 08:21 AM
this thread went to shet really fast.

thanks spitfireS for taking the time to post an elaborate explanation.
I agree, part of it is my fault. sorry bout that. *note to self, ignore ricers.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:46 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

one_slows2k Posted on Mar 25 2008, 04:34 PM
by not having this circulation of air into you system, you are doing something that the system was not intended to do.
The circulation is only there when there is a vacuum in the intake.
Drive around for 2 hours on the highway at constant speed and you'll have no air circulation.

Was just curious if you even know how the PCV system works on cars? Or are you just hanging off the krankvent nutsack without really know shit about it?
A simple "copy & paste" out of a manual describes the system, but does not mean you know how it works either.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like all the threads i've read on this indicate the flow of air should be going INTO the valve cover to clear out all those gases/vapor and push them out the pcv into the manifold. If both air flows are the same direction (out of the valve cover), you may as well just T the flows together and run them both to the catchcan if you have one. It makes sense to have all the air sucked out and recirculated in the manifold though...., I dont see how using only ONE vent would accomplish anything.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Mar 25 2008, 08:46 AM
Drive around for 2 hours on the highway at constant speed and you'll have no air circulation.
You do know a majority of people do more driving in the city than the highway right? or atlest combination of both. So yes, @ certain times there is no air circulation, but the majority of times for most of the population? that circulation is there.

ps - you do know there is still vacuum even at cruising right? if you don't believe me put a boost/vacuum guage on your car and run @ a constant speed.

I didnt say this circulation of air has to always be there, all i'm saying is that this system is designed for that to be there. If you think this "no circulation method" design is better, then by all means use it. I just find it hard to go against what is the normal process (thats been used for decades maybe?) just to add 1 or 2 hp, if that.

If a manufacturer found a way to make their engines last longer, run better etc, common sense would tell you they would use this. This pcv system has been around for a while now, decades maybe, and its process remains for the most part the same.. makes u wonder if this "super vacuum - no fresh air source" system really works, why hasn't it been adapted?

Its obvious people wouldnt use this for the added hp.... nor to make their engine bay look better..... but do you honestly think your engine will run longer/ better if you use this? I would think it would run worse, as there would always be contaminants inside your crank case. why risk it, since stock works perfectly fine?

Not worth the risk for 0-1 hp if you ask me.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:39 AM

^
you should know the pcv is intended for emissions purposes, not performance.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by juntuned,Mar 25 2008, 09:14 AM
It seems like all the threads i've read on this indicate the flow of air should be going INTO the valve cover to clear out all those gases/vapor and push them out the pcv into the manifold. If both air flows are the same direction (out of the valve cover), you may as well just T the flows together and run them both to the catchcan if you have one. It makes sense to have all the air sucked out and recirculated in the manifold though...., I dont see how using only ONE vent would accomplish anything.
you don't grasp the function fully...

oem design, air goes into the crankcase because their is a vacuum in the IMG at idle, which pulls air out of the crankcase, and thus air goes back in through the breather.

this is fully an emissions function...has nothing to do with performance.

Quick Reply: Need Krank Vent info