S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need insight on new purchase

Old 08-23-2006, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Need insight on new purchase

I have been looking for a new drop top 2 seater to replace my Evo (stolen and stripped ), and i have already decided on the honda S2k. Well i came across a 2k3 with 39k on the clock. The only thing is that it is highly modified and need some insight since I dont have any experience with built hondas.

The guy bought it at auction and doesnt know squat about it really so that is where i need some help. For 1 thing i am weary about buyin already modified cars but it looks like i would be saving a butt load of $$ by buyin this thing already hooked up even if it had a couple issues.

Things that the car has:

- Not sure what kinda turbo but it is a Garret with w .60 AR
- 3" Exhaust with it split to 2.5" in the rear with magnaflow muffs
- Upgraded Injectors
- Tail Waste Gate
- Not sure what kinda engine management i tried looking for it but the guy was - weary about me pulling off interior pieces to find it... where is the stock ECU on these things anyways??
- Guy said that has only 5 gears so i checked and sure enough it is def a 5 speed tranny in this thing is this comon??
- IC
- Relocated Oil Filter

Problems that i noticed:

- I ran slowly though the rev range using my hand on the TB and noticed stubling at part throttle... i am pretty sure some tuning would solve this problem though.

The guy wants 27k for it and the book value is about 25... do you guys think i should jump on this or am i just getting a nightmare??

Any coments or insight is really apperciated.. i am tryin to pick this thing up ASAP if it all checks out
Old 08-23-2006, 07:19 AM

u can get a new one for 30k. think about it.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:58 AM

yeah the price does seem high but i can always haggle and besides it looks like the prev owner sunk a nice bit of change into it... not to worried about the price right now i just need to know if all these mods check out as usual upgrades to you guys.....

My experience lies in the 4g63 and the 2jz dont know much about modded hondas.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well i highly doubt that its a five speed seeing as all s2000 are 6 speeds, what makes you think that has only five gears. Look sto me like the ultimate racing generation one turbo kit. Regardless if you buy it take that damn spoiler off. That car looks like it has a mullet.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:03 PM

my rule of thumb:

avoid buying modded cars unless you know the complete history of the car, or you can verify some type of history on the car.

sorting out someone else's problems can cost dearly.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:07 PM

Looks like a stock s2k with a rediculous wing and a turbo kit. There is no way I'd buy that car for more than 15k unless I knew the engine management details, compression test, figured out what's up the transmission [if it really does only have 5 gears, one is shattered], etc. You'll end up dropping a few k++ just to get it back to stock if you aren't careful.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:49 PM

Yikes.. if it really does only have 5 gears, then you KNOW its been beaten to hell and back.

Run and dont look back. Especially for 25k
Old 08-24-2006, 06:56 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

If the turbo hasn't been tuned properly, the engine could very well die in the next few hundred miles. It might even already have damage you can't see without taking it apart. Go to the Forced Induction forum and post this again, see what those folks say.

You should be able to find a stock, excellent condition car for low $20k's.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:14 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I am going to have to agree. FI on a stock S2000 motor can be a problem. There are very few out there that can tune these to run properly and hold together. Unless you are looking for a problem project car, look else where.

But if you heart is set on a turbo'ed S2000, then you need to get someone (tuner) to take a look at the car, and see how well it is tuned. Also, you sshould have someone go over the installation to see how well it was done. These things have leaks (oil, water, etc) even after the installation is done right.

Also, All S2000 are 6 speeds. If there is only 5, consider the transmission shot and in need of replacement.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run away, who knows how the car was treated by the previous owner(s). If you want a boosted S2k you're besting having the work done yourself, that way you know how everything was done and if it was done right or not. Plus you'll learn a lot about the car in the process.

Quick Reply: Need insight on new purchase