S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need Help with Zeals..

Old 03-24-2005, 05:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Help with Zeals..

I need some help/advice with my Zeals.
My coilovers are installed however the rears dont lower the car that low lets say compared to Comptech, Spoon, Buddyclub, etc. To me this is a big issue. The fronts have no problem. The problem I ran into last night and for 2 hours was that it appears you can only lower the rear 1.5 inches which is unacceptable IMO. I have my front set at 2.75 inches. So I took out my rear suspension and tried to tweak it last night. Well come to find out that I could only get it to go 1.5 inches. You cannot go more because your gas chamber for the shock has a nipple at the bottom of the whole coilover that eventually if you go low enough will hit your LCA bar. I called a couple of my friends and they really couldnt help me so I turn to you guys since this is a tech question/issue. Any suggestions? I was almost to the point last night were I was going to yank all 4 and sell it and go back to my Comptechs. Please advise. Thanks guys.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The only way for you to lower the suspension anymore is to tap into your preload settings. This is not a big compromise since the Zeal B6/S6 coilovers have plenty of stroke travel (rebound/compression) for you to tap into.

I have the Zeal Function S6 coilover and I Have the height adjustment perch all the way down (about 1mm of space between the nipple and LCA) and tapped into the preload perch about 3-4 rings. I have barely a finger gap on 255/40/17 rears. Plenty of stroke left in the suspension. Hope that helps. PM me if you need more info or pics.

Johnny
Old 03-24-2005, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by fly_S2K,Mar 24 2005, 07:39 AM
The only way for you to lower the suspension anymore is to tap into your preload settings. This is not a big compromise since the Zeal B6/S6 coilovers have plenty of stroke travel (rebound/compression) for you to tap into.

I have the Zeal Function S6 coilover and I Have the height adjustment perch all the way down (about 1mm of space between the nipple and LCA) and tapped into the preload perch about 3-4 rings. I have barely a finger gap on 255/40/17 rears. Plenty of stroke left in the suspension. Hope that helps. PM me if you need more info or pics.

Johnny
I have about 2mm till I hit the lower control arm. I did exactly what you said. I have a 1-2 finger gap in the rear. Heres the thing. I am running a 245/35/18 rear tire on a 18x9 +68 rear. So it looks funny IMO. What do you think? I think thats as low as I can go. I want to lower like my Comptechs 3 inches at least. Anyway to achieve this?
Old 03-24-2005, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by JsAP1,Mar 24 2005, 09:43 AM
I have about 2mm till I hit the lower control arm. I did exactly what you said. I have a 1-2 finger gap in the rear. Heres the thing. I am running a 245/35/18 rear tire on a 18x9 +68 rear. So it looks funny IMO. What do you think? I think thats as low as I can go. I want to lower like my Comptechs 3 inches at least. Anyway to achieve this?
Yes, by lower the spring load. It is not a big compromise to do this because the B6 has plenty of suspension travel for you to lower the spring load. You can acheive this by unlocking the top perch of the coilover and lower that seat, as you would with the lower perch. If you're not clear on what I mean, PM me and i'll draw up a diagram with a pic for you.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:48 AM

PM'ed
Old 03-24-2005, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by fly_S2K,Mar 24 2005, 07:48 AM
PM'ed
Thanks for the info and yes I would like a diagram of what you mean. I was under the impression you could only adjust the lower perch not the top as per the directions I had. My top has a white piece of plastic then it hits the top fo the coilover. How or what would I adjust at the top? The bottom has the spring tension and the lowering capabilities.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the the B6's like these?

Zeal B6's

I had these on mine before and ran into the same problem. You can tuck the fronts but the rear nipples would hit the control arm if you go too low.

Did you get these new or used?

After I sold mine, Kent from Endless said there was a mod that they can do to the rears (but you have to send them back) to make you lower them more.

PM JDMwhore, he sent them in and got the mod done. He's dumped on them now.

*edit*

If these are the B6's I don't think you can unlock the top. There is no top perch to move. Check with Kent from Endless.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by JsAP1,Mar 24 2005, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the info and yes I would like a diagram of what you mean. I was under the impression you could only adjust the lower perch not the top as per the directions I had. My top has a white piece of plastic then it hits the top fo the coilover. How or what would I adjust at the top? The bottom has the spring tension and the lowering capabilities.
Idealy you should not need to adjust the top perch, because that contains your pre-load, which Zeal probably calculated will yield equal compression and rebound stroke. However, in the B6 application there is plenty of stroke, so by lowering the spring load you will not be compromising a lot of suspension stroke. This will allow you to lower the car some more.

A good example is with the JIC FLT-A2 coilovers for the s2000. People who wanted to drop there car pretty low had to lower their spring load, but in doing so some were riding on bump stops (not enough suspension travel).

At the shows, I was able to tuck the entire wheel (17" CE28N's) in the fender without touching the bumpstops. I ran out of threads before I could hit the bumpstops . But I believe that was undriveable-ly low.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by What The,Mar 24 2005, 10:46 AM

Zeal B6's

I had these on mine before and ran into the same problem. You can tuck the fronts but the rear nipples would hit the control arm if you go too low.

After I sold mine, Kent from Endless said there was a mod that they can do to the rears (but you have to send them back) to make you lower them more.

*edit*

If these are the B6's I don't think you can unlock the top. There is no top perch to move. Check with Kent from Endless.

Hope this helps.
That's another solution if you do not want to change the spring pre-load.
Although I do not know what the modification consist of.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by What The,Mar 24 2005, 08:46 AM

Zeal B6's

*edit*

Hope this helps.
Yeah its the B6s. Yup thats the same problem I have. I bought them new from my friends shop. I will call Kent this morning.

Quick Reply: Need Help with Zeals..