S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need Help With Yearly Maintenance

Old 05-20-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With Yearly Maintenance

Hello all!

I need help trying to figure out a schedule for my S2000 that's only driven about 100 miles per year. I have a 05 with 27K miles. I only drive it twice a week and only put on 16 miles a month. What should my regular yearly maintenance be for my S2K since I only place a very small amout of miles on it? As of right now, I have the oil changed twice a year and just did a major service last year. Since my hoses and belts are original(10yrs old), I'm going to have them replaced in the next couple of months. I've seen a post about the rear differtual fluid, which I've never had changed as well as the timing chain. What should be my yearly scheduled maintance on a yearly basis(oil, trans, rear diff, belts & hoses, radiator/break/power steering fluid - flush/replacement)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by MrVegas
Hello all!

I need help trying to figure out a schedule for my S2000 that's only driven about 100 miles per year. I have a 05 with 27K miles. I only drive it twice a week and only put on 16 miles a month. What should my regular yearly maintenance be for my S2K since I only place a very small amout of miles on it? As of right now, I have the oil changed twice a year and just did a major service last year. Since my hoses and belts are original(10yrs old), I'm going to have them replaced in the next couple of months. I've seen a post about the rear differtual fluid, which I've never had changed as well as the timing chain. What should be my yearly scheduled maintance on a yearly basis(oil, trans, rear diff, belts & hoses, radiator/break/power steering fluid - flush/replacement)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/101...#entry22407589

Bookmark it. Very helpful
Old 05-20-2015, 10:48 AM

Thanks Reasonable Doubt for the reply! I did read that link throughly, but since I have such low mileage, I need help figureing out a yearly schedule. I'm trying to take that link and use it a bit. I just need some more help. Thanks again!
Old 05-20-2015, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sound like you're driving it in a relatively poor interval @ 8 miles/trip. That's barely enough time to get the car up to temp.
What's your purpose in driving the car on this interval? Just curious. Those types of trips are typically for people who are winter storing it; they'll drive it once every 2 weeks or so but usually like 15+ miles to get it really up to temp and keep the battery charged. But even then, they'll usually just put a battery tender on it and not drive it at all during winter and bust it out in the spring and drive it a whole heck of a lot more.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Twice a week with 16 miles a month is a lot less than 8 miles/trip.

There are 4 weeks in most months. That's 8 times in one month or 2 miles/trip.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:39 AM

Hey jkelley, I understand what your talking about, but unfortunately I'm dealing with sever health and pain issues due to my spinal cord and lumbar, cervical & hip areas. Basically, I'm almost to the point on being bed bound for 20hrs of the day. I have to use a cane to get around and in 10yrs ill probably need to use of a rolling walker. Since this is the 1st and only car I've ever bought new, and I'll never be able to purchase another new car in my lifetime, I don't ever want to get rid of it nor trade it in. My S2000 is only used twice a week to pick up my dinner for the entire week. What can I say? I love my car, it's my 1st and only brand car I ever bought. Since it took me 35 years to be in a position to buy a brand new car, I just want to try to take care of it as well as I can. Thanks for the post!
Old 05-20-2015, 11:45 AM

Well for the little bit that you're driving it you should be worry free. As long as nothing is loose and nothing is leaking, there isn't much else to work on. Enjoy it !
Old 05-20-2015, 11:46 AM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Sorry to hear about your health issues MrVegas. Have you tried acupuncture? It may help a bit with the pain. I'm glad you are enjoying your car still though. Good luck!
Old 05-20-2015, 12:32 PM

Takesi - That's correct, very little mileage every month.

Reasonable Doubt - Thanks brother. I try to enjoy it as much a i can.

Alspeed2k - Thank you. Yes, I've tried all eastern medicine, before a having a few of my cervical bones fused. Unfortunately, it was a failed Sx. Thanks again!
Old 05-20-2015, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrVegas
Hey jkelley, I understand what your talking about, but unfortunately I'm dealing with sever health and pain issues due to my spinal cord and lumbar, cervical & hip areas. Basically, I'm almost to the point on being bed bound for 20hrs of the day. I have to use a cane to get around and in 10yrs ill probably need to use of a rolling walker. Since this is the 1st and only car I've ever bought new, and I'll never be able to purchase another new car in my lifetime, I don't ever want to get rid of it nor trade it in. My S2000 is only used twice a week to pick up my dinner for the entire week. What can I say? I love my car, it's my 1st and only brand car I ever bought. Since it took me 35 years to be in a position to buy a brand new car, I just want to try to take care of it as well as I can. Thanks for the post!
I'm sorry to hear that. I didn't read your original post correctly, I was thinking 2 times a month (every other week). 2 miles per trip at that interval will be pretty bad for the car, so you are right that you should seek some special maintenance intervals.

I would highly suggest a lower weight oil. Maybe a 0w-30 or something to take off the stress that your car is undergoing with being started cold every 2 miles of its life. Some others may be able to chime in here. I imagine with your health issues that you take it to get the oil changed, which is understandable, but be sure to specify exactly what oil weight you want and explain why, otherwise they may ignore your request since it would be so far from the manufacturer's recommendations.

I would DEFINITELY purchase a battery tender, as well. To use all the time, when you're not driving it. 2 miles at a time is not charging your battery sufficiently, guaranteed; again, because of the frequent starting periods.

Other fluids I think you would be fine for quite some time, with OEM MTF and diff oil.

Quick Reply: Need Help With Yearly Maintenance