S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need help with smog

Old 02-10-2007, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with smog

Ive always had bad luck with having smog done. From a 95 civic to a 99 accord, I've never passed on my first try. Now that I've gotten an s2000, I thought I would have passed with flying colors. Went in today for a smog check and once again i failed. I failed the "fuel cap functional" part. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?
Old 02-10-2007, 04:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by myridechanelle,Feb 10 2007, 08:00 PM
Ive always had bad luck with having smog done. From a 95 civic to a 99 accord, I've never passed on my first try. Now that I've gotten an s2000, I thought I would have passed with flying colors. Went in today for a smog check and once again i failed. I failed the "fuel cap functional" part. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

whats wrong with the fuel cap?

maybe just get a new one.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you fail, they're normally supposed to tell you, or recommend a fix.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:00 PM

yea the guy who did my smog seemed pretty surprised as i did. How does one fail a fuel cap functional test. So would buying a new one fix my problem?
Old 02-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Every state has different emmisions laws. One would think that the shop that failed your car could tell you what you needed to fix it.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought they took care of the bad filler necks/ cap problems at the end of the '02 model year? I wouldn't think that would be your problem. I do know that if the cap is not on properly, you will get s 'check eng' light, but if that hasn't happened, I doubt you need to reinstall the cap properly.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:13 AM

smog shops lie and try to make money cuz doing stright smog is not gonan cut it .. well depends.. does he want u to buy a new cap from him if so thats bs.. but if its a good shop then yea u needa new cap

when they check the cap.. they hook up a good cap to the machine and test it. then they hook urs up to compare.. i think thats how its done..
Old 02-11-2007, 09:01 PM

R3DS2K - i doubt thats it because the shop didnt charge me anything because It seemed ridiculous that a totally stock s2000 would fail smog. So what excactly would a new fuel cap do over my "seems to be good" cap?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Feb 10 2007, 06:38 PM
Every state has different emmisions laws. One would think that the shop that failed your car could tell you what you needed to fix it.
It is odd, but I think there is actually a law here in California that prevents the smog shop from trying to diagnose why a car has failed smog. This is at least true with the "Test Only" smog stations we have. I don't remember the logic behind the law.
I found this:"Test-Only stations are prohibited by law from selling diagnosis or repairs."
Here: http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Bo...eck/ifailed.htm
I guess there is at least one type of smog staion in CA that can diagnose and sell repairs. Gold Shield/CAP.
http://www.smogtips.com/typesofstations.cfm
Anyway none of this really applies if the poster isn't in CA.
If the gascap is failing the leakage test or whatever they call it I think you should have the gascap DTC/CEL (P1456 I think). I wonder if it is covered under the emissions warranty. The emissions warranty is something like 8 years. I don't exactly know what is covered, but this may be.
EDIT: Why are you getting an 03 smogged? Do you have to do that when the title changes hands or something. I thought a new car didn't have to smog for 5 years?(in CA anyway) Never go to a "Test Only" station unless your renewal notice specifically say's to. I you fail at a "Test Only" staion you must pass at a "Test Only" station.
EDIT AGAIN: Upon re-reading, I guess there really is nothing preventing a smog station from "telling" you what's wrong just them "selling" you anything. I actually have failed at a "Test Only" station with a CRX. The guy at the "Test Only" staion sure acted like it was against the rules when he said it was probably the CAT. He was right, I replaced the CAT and passed.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:50 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

There are only 2 items covered under the federal emissions warranty to 80K, the Catalytic convertor and the PCM.

Untill we know where the OP is at, who knows if the People's Republic of Kalifornia's laws apply.

Quick Reply: Need help with smog