S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need Help! S2k not starting

Old 08-15-2011, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly don't know how to use the AEM EMS... I tried plugging the EMS to the computer and nothing popped up. Any help on that would be great. Maybe a link to how to use the EMS as a dianosis machine!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should seriously consider using the aem ems to troubleshoot sensor related issues. I am not versed with every function of it so I cannot provide you a procedure, but if I tinkered I could probably figure it out.

First step would be to install the ems with a normally aspirated calibration that you know works. (I don't trust the basemap, but maybe it is sufficient to start the car)

Download aemtuner v2.8 from their website, should plug and play at that point with a laptop. With the key turned on you should be able to click connect to ecu and see everything realtime.

Use the sensor tab to troubleshoot sensors or startup tab and do pc logs while starting to figure out why it's not starting. I wrote a small thread in the engine management thread about cold start refining. The same basic idea could be used for your situation to gather usable data on what your car's problem is.

You can customize tabs and channel displays so that more sensors are logged and displayed real time.

There is a 250+pg tuning and setup pdf manual for aem ems systems that I think would benefit you. It's on the aem forum somewhere

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by robs2g1
Originally Posted by mmm...vtec' timestamp='1313123572' post='20870823
[quote name='robs2g1' timestamp='1313077392' post='20868528']
Stock ecu, stock intake, stock headers and exhaust. I just change the spark plugs and found that i'm not getting any SPARK. The crazy thing is before i took off the turbo kit it was working fine, now no spark. I Can smell the gas and it turns over fine. The battery is new.

Did u unplug the connector to the coil to see if ur getting voltage there? Should be close to batt voltage.

No voltage there.
[/quote]

If there is no voltage there with KOEO then u gotta start working ur way back and see why there is no voltage. Might be just a loose,disconnected or cut wire. Keep it simple dont over think it. Get the basics done first and go fron there.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by jh4db536
You should seriously consider using the aem ems to troubleshoot sensor related issues. I am not versed with every function of it so I cannot provide you a procedure, but if I tinkered I could probably figure it out.

First step would be to install the ems with a normally aspirated calibration that you know works. (I don't trust the basemap, but maybe it is sufficient to start the car)

Download aemtuner v2.8 from their website, should plug and play at that point with a laptop. With the key turned on you should be able to click connect to ecu and see everything realtime.

Use the sensor tab to troubleshoot sensors or startup tab and do pc logs while starting to figure out why it's not starting. I wrote a small thread in the engine management thread about cold start refining. The same basic idea could be used for your situation to gather usable data on what your car's problem is.

You can customize tabs and channel displays so that more sensors are logged and displayed real time.

There is a 250+pg tuning and setup pdf manual for aem ems systems that I think would benefit you. It's on the aem forum somewhere

Thanks for the info... I'll try that. If i don't have the AEM program on my labtop will anything show up. i have a pretty old labtop and i'm not sure if my labtop is reading the AEM ECU.

Originally Posted by mmm...vtec
Originally Posted by robs2g1' timestamp='1313195823' post='20873696
[quote name='mmm...vtec' timestamp='1313123572' post='20870823']
Stock ecu, stock intake, stock headers and exhaust. I just change the spark plugs and found that i'm not getting any SPARK. The crazy thing is before i took off the turbo kit it was working fine, now no spark. I Can smell the gas and it turns over fine. The battery is new.

Did u unplug the connector to the coil to see if ur getting voltage there? Should be close to batt voltage.

No voltage there.
[/quote]

If there is no voltage there with KOEO then u gotta start working ur way back and see why there is no voltage. Might be just a loose,disconnected or cut wire. Keep it simple dont over think it. Get the basics done first and go fron there.
[/quote]

What is KOEO? Anyone have a diagram that would show me the wire i would need to follow back?
Old 08-15-2011, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by robs2g1
Originally Posted by jh4db536' timestamp='1313447183' post='20880620

Thanks for the info... I'll try that. If i don't have the AEM program on my labtop will anything show up. i have a pretty old labtop and i'm not sure if my labtop is reading the AEM ECU.

Originally Posted by mmm...vtec
Originally Posted by robs2g1' timestamp='1313195823' post='20873696
[quote name='mmm...vtec' timestamp='1313123572' post='20870823']

No voltage there.
[/quote]

What is KOEO? Anyone have a diagram that would show me the wire i would need to follow back?
[/quote]

KOEO is Key On Engine Off. And good question...a wiring diagram will help but if u cant find one just trace the wire back to the compoment and check for loose connections, burnt cut or corroded wires. Also check fuses with a volt meter to make sure that voltage is actually passing thru them.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:50 PM

found this...the colorful one with the 1,2,3,4 is the diagram u need. hope it helps...

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/709.../page__st__100
Old 08-17-2011, 11:04 AM

Thanks again.... Update:

I volt tested all the fuses with power to all except the ECU PGM-F1 Fuse has no power to it? would this be a problem? its the 7.5 fuse on the right side 7th down on the fuse box. I tried running a constant to it and it just jumps the car....
Old 08-17-2011, 06:53 PM

DO NOT RUN CONSTANT POWER TO THE ECU! That could be potentially be bad news! Was the fuse blown or was it just not getting power? Pull the fuse and test the connection directly. Did u replace with a new fuse? Swap fuse with another to test it? Make sure wires going into that fuse on the back of the fuse box are not loose, cut or disconnected.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:35 PM

I ran power to bypass the fuse with another inline fuse wire to a constant and it just tried starting the start once i made contact. I replace with a new fuse and swap fuses with no change. The back of the fuse box has no modification, but is it weird that it doesn't get power until you turn the ignition to start the car?
Old 08-18-2011, 12:46 AM

Thats normal. But even tho there are no mods to the fuse box, over time things just get loose,chafe or whatever the case may be. If ur not getting power to the fuse there is something wrong between ur ECU and that particular fuse that ur gonna have to track down. Check the pins at the connector of the ECU male and female side for looseness or damage. See if u can get a hold of a complete wiring diagram with fuse box and ECU on it. If ur gonna do it ur self be prepared for many future headaches I dont know ur skill level on car electronics but we on the forums can only help so much without seeing the car but we will help as much as possible.

Quick Reply: Need Help! S2k not starting